Originally Posted by foreversxm
We have stayed up and down Simpson Bay Beach over the past 25 years and pretty much all of them charge a service fee. 25 years ago we paid it a Mullet Bay and even French side. For example Marys Boon is 15% service fee (which part goes to the staff plus internet and USA phone calls are free and I can pay with my mileage credit card) ) and also 5% gov room tax. Never paid more than that. Horny Toad charges at least the same and Zaffro too, its very common all over the Island and been going on for about forever. Being a part of the media for 40 years To say only "reputable places" don't charge these fees to me is bit hysterical coming from site that might not be known by most to be "pay to play" for its advertiser sponsors. Other SXM sites to the same thing, naturally you want to say nice things about the people that help feed you. Beachside Villas which we like also but just don't have or even offer the same full services and can't compare to a Hotel services and expenses and is why they don't need to collect it. To be fair it seems very self serving and benefits nobody, I have never paid a service fee at a Villa or Airbnb type of property. You don't stay in business for 50 plus year if you don't treat your guests right. A quick look, Maho, Belair is 21%, Belair and Princess Heights is 20%. I think some also try to recover some of the TOT expense and a very min amount really goes back to the hotel. Some even charge elec surchage , fuel clause , seat upgrade fee, extra baggage fee, overweight fee, etc etc. Its a nickel and dime world everywhere! ha! SXM is no different and these fees are ok with me and understandable and just part of the total rate.

Honey Toad charges 5% government tax and a fee if using a credit card, but they do NOT have any other "service charge/fee" or "resort fee". You tip housekeeping at your discretion.

J.D.