I read through the threads about insurance and ultimately decided to buy a policy which for the six of us (immediate family) was just under $300. What got to me in the end was the fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) about interacting with someone in the arrival process who could delay us or stop us from entering whereby we miss our ferry etc. Further, I figured that this was PRIMARY coverage with a lot of features that could, God forbid, become necessary in the event of a family member getting sick or hurt while on this vacation. I am not an insurance expert and I did not get a clear understanding from the policy documents that I skimmed who would have paid the quarantine housing, meals, etc should any of us have been "detained" for a positive test. It was a little more clear that Covid related medical costs would be covered. I think my Anthem BCBS coverage is worldwide and would have paid a portion of my out-of-network costs should they have been incurred, but with my deductible and OON coinsurance I figured that the $300 with primary coverage and all the extras was enough to buy the policy.

The person checking us in for the ferry from USVI to BVI did mention insurance and I said we had it, but I don't think she looked at any details about it in the stack of papers I handed to her. I think I could have shown any card and it would have been accepted. So, I still don't know, thankfully, if quarantine room and board would have been covered by an insurance claim. That would be interesting to know for those of you who are considering buying an extra policy versus relying on your regular medical insurance and the addition of any credit card travel insurance benefits that many have for repatriation etc. From my perspective, the quarantine room and board would likely be the largest extra cost from an unexpected positive Covid test upon arrival or departure.