Jagmansr and RatmansWife, thank you both. I'm a lot more concerned about compliance than cost of the duty, because the last time I left Beef Island, Eliot Ness' second coming confiscated a plastic cigarette lighter that I had forgotten to declare (I congratulated him on having nabbed "Public Enemy Number One"), and on my last entry into that port, I was asked if I had any tobacco and I reflexively said "no," forgetting that I had half a pack of cigarettes on my person. For some reason it didn't occur to me to be more careful render a literal response. Thus, on my next foray into VG, I just want to be ready to avoid any and all aggravation that can occur, so I'll have my receipts handy and my 10% calculated as per jagmansr's advice. Anyhow, thank you both.

By the way Mrs. Ratman, did your steak inspection issue occur in San Juan or St. Thomas? I assume the former and that it was occasioned by your having to put your cooler onto the belt there? I have a connection from JetBlue out of Boston to Cape Air in SJU, with almost three hours between those flights. While I'm tempted to try and check my bags through from JetBlue to Cape Air without having to pick them up and put them onto the belt (not to mention lugging them through the airport and having to put them onto the belt), I am loath to do that because of the risk of them never getting to Cape Air - especially if I'm bringing fresh meat or dairy.