I'm doing some menu planning for our upcoming charter and I'm wondering about people's experiences using the charcoal grill provided on monohulls? With two kids on board, we're going to be doing a lot of cooking on the boat (for budget and dietary reasons) and I'm wondering if we can do a lot on the grill, or if it is more trouble than it's worth. My husband's previous charter experience (as a child) was with Moorings, which gives its customers eggcrate-like packages of charcoal that you can just light and go, but we are using BVIYC and ordering our own provisions through Riteway, Good Moon, etc. A big bag of charcoal seems unwieldy for a boat and I've read varying reports on how easy it is to light, adjust the heat/airflow, etc. I like the idea of being able to grill some hot dogs and kabobs up in the breeze instead of standing over a hot stove in the galley turning greener by the minute (I am prone to seasickness when below and I'm bringing all the remedies....another thread for another day). But I don't like the idea of having crackers for dinner because I ruined our Steakation skewers by charring them on the outside and leaving them raw inside on a flaming grill. Our grill at home is propane, so I'm not very experienced at charcoal grilling.

And yes my husband's family once lost their hotdog lunch when a roller came in and tipped them right off the grill into the water. And yes, they once lost the whole grill over the side, too! laugh