I see people asking all the time, “Which charter company should I use in the BVI?” There are several excellent charter companies and naturally folks have their favorites. I have to relate my experience with TMM. My Lagoon 42 was in TMM’s charter fleet for only 18 months. In late August 2017 my 2018 Lagoon 42, Ocean Song, was delivered to Tortola. Two weeks later Irma arrived and destroyed the boat before my wife and I ever saw her. Our insurance (arranged by Barney Crook, TMM’s managing partner) paid us 100%, no deductible (yes, you read that correctly, no deductible for a named storm) within 45 days. At the 2017 Annapolis Boat Show in October, we ordered our 2019 Lagoon 42, also named Ocean Song. She was TMM’s featured boat at the 2018 Annapolis Boat Show. She did fantastic in charter. Then COVID-19 came along. Although we had hoped to keep her in charter for 3 years, we pulled her out at the end of December 2020. Barney was great in helping us and did not try to hold us to our original 3-year agreement.

My wife and I moved aboard in December, 2022. Between the time we took her out of charter and now we have done extensive upgrades, totaling well over $125,000 - converting a cabin into a workshop with storage, water maker, solar, lithium, etc. Virtually everyone who has worked on our boat has marveled at her condition and been impressed with the various upgrades TMM did while she was in charter. The comments were always that they had never seen a boat upgraded by a charter company to the standards of our boat. When I needed a wiring schematic for the solar and lithium upgrade (TMM had done many electrical upgrades) Barney had it to me in less than 24 hours. When we brought Ocean Song back to the BVI a few weeks ago I asked Barney if he could provide a statement that our boat was no longer a charter boat for BVI Customs. A few hours later Barney had emailed the statement to me.

When I asked for the statement I mentioned to Barney that we had recently experienced some cliches with our chart plotter. I also asked if there was a technician in the BVI Barney would recommend. He said “call Tim (Tim Parsons, Operations Manager at TMM) he might be able to help you troubleshoot it”. I called Tim and he did help me fix the issues. Then I asked Tim for local recommendations for a couple of needed boat projects that were above my pay grade. Tim said they were super-busy with charters, but if I could carve out a day or two I could bring the boat into TMM and they would help me. I asked, “are you sure?” Tim: “yes, bring Ocean Song in, we will make time for you”. Today Tim and two other TMM staff members spent 7 hours on Ocean Song. Tomorrow they will be at it again. Oh, and along the way they spliced 7 new dock and mooring lines for us. All the while with charters coming and going out of Road Reef. Wow! Just Wow! I never dreamed that TMM would offer to do the work themselves. I know it will be done right!

We were only in charter for 18 months with TMM, but they treat us as if we were with them for 18 years! Anytime over the last 3 years that I call, text, or email Barney or anyone at TMM with a question, I get an almost immediate response. TMM maintains their fleet to a standard unequaled by virtually any other charter company in the BVI. They have gone out of their way to assist us in anyway needed over the last 3 years. I doubt any other charter company would do what TMM is doing for us at this very moment.

Bottom Line: TMM Yacht Charters is simply THE BEST.

Last edited by OceanSong; 02/13/2024 08:47 PM.