If I order an item listed at $20 I expect to pay $20, not $23. So anything above the $20 is part of the service charge, gratuity, tip, or whatever you wish to call it. Not negotiable.

Dutch side:
I have zero issue with a 15% clearly spelled out gratuity added to the tab, even 18% is acceptable but I do think that is pushing it a bit. We usually add to that to get it to 20% or more. MJ and I just did 8 days in the Bahamas, not a single place we went to did not add at least 15% as a gratuity line, one listed 18%. Not hidden, plain view and it was just the norm. I was just in Ft Lauderdale (on a jet back to PDX from FLL while writing this) and every tab had a 15% or more gratuity added to the bill, and I would note in plain site and one was even highlighted in yellow so you would not miss it. I think anywhere that you have a high percentage of international customers where there is a US style tipping custom you are going to find more and more of this. Less seasoned travelers are going to miss it, the price of less educated travelers.

Also, the restaurants on island did not create the US style tipping system nor bring it to Sint Maarten, they have to figure out how to make money and take care of their staff with this employment system. If it is clearly marked I think it is short sided to penalize or look down on an establishment looking to take care of their employees. Do your best to ignore the people that try to spin a story on the extra charges and move on, no need to ever have that conversation.

13 days back in Florida, 19 days until back on island!

I prefer the Isle seat