I have not been a fan of BB. My wife and I live aboard and have been in the BVI and USVI since January 14th. Prior to this visit we had intentionally not used BB, preferring the old FCFS method of mooring procurement when cruising in the Virgins. In the past 100 days afloat we have anchored 85 days, moored 12 days, and spent 3 days at TMM Yacht Charters. We came to the Virgin Islands after island hopping from Grenada. All our mooring since leaving Grenada has been in either the BVI or USVI.

We decided to give BB a try after a couple of boating friends, including Deepcut, provided positive reviews. Although anchoring remains our #1 option, we have come to appreciate the convenience of BB. I have dived on numerous moorings over the years and I must acknowledge that the BB moorings are consistently well maintained. Of course, like any mooring a BB can fail. The FCFS BB option, where available, has been very convenient. BB makes the payment very easy. We are by no means “well to do” cruisers and we have to watch our money. At the same time, we can afford to stay on moorings from time-to-time. When rendezvousing with friends on the water, especially friends who are chartering, the BB option is attractive.

We have played the 7:00 am lottery 3 or 4 times and we’ve always gotten a ball (we haven’t tried at Cooper). For those on a one or two week charter, BB seems like a good option to have. The price hike for mooring balls, certainly influenced by the introduction of BB, is a negative. Still, it seems BB is here to stay and we will use it from time-to-time when it makes things easier for us or our friends.