Hey all - just back from a fantastic week in the windy BVI. I took my two kids (age 5 and 9) and 5x adult family members that were charter first-timers. Kids punched their first ticket last year in the Exumas.
This was my first time chartering in more of the high season and wow was it windy and crowded. 20 knots most of the week with two days of 25+. Had to re-work the itinerary a bit so we weren't sailing to Anegada on those windier days. I was determined not to reserve a Boatyball all week, and managed to pull it off. Here's where we ended up each night.
1. Diamond Cay - FCFS ball 2. Benures Bay (Bight was full at 2:30) - FCFS ball 3. BEYC - anchored 4. Leverick - anchored 5. Pomato point - anchored 6. CGB - ball 7. Peter Island - slip
The only anchorage I didn't particularly care for was the one at BEYC since we were in 50 feet and it was pretty crowded at 2:30 when we arrived.
A few firsts...
As I mentioned in another thread, we rented a safari truck and did the Baths via land and it was really enjoyable day. VG has great views and it's really a fun drive. Those views at Hog Heaven alone are worth it.
I've always wanted to try Pomato Point and frankly it's unclear to me if that area is redlined, but I dont see why it should be. With how crowded Setting Point was (~75 boats), there was really no reason to try and get in there and anchor. I've also had a FCFS (non-boaty) ball fail on me in the Setting Point anchorage. The Pomato Point anchorage is easy to approach, has excellent holding, and has a lot of space. There were 6x boats with room for plenty more. We arranged a truck delivery from Dean, and later that evening dined at Sid's which was excellent. Great vibe, friendly staff, and the food was really really good. Downside is it's a beach landing, and we had a little bit of wind swell to deal with. Perhaps others can comment on how this is in different weather conditions. We had east winds of 18-20 knots and it was a little bit rolly.
I reserved a slip at Peter Island a couple weeks before the trip for our last evening. First time ever being on the dock during a charter and we also wanted to check out the new marina facilities. Beautiful setting and the facilities are really well done - perhaps they could use some more seating area at the pool. Crew enjoyed coming and going as they pleased. 30 min motor the next am back to Nanny Cay. We had planned to just grab some pizzas at the Drunken Pelican but I wasn't aware it was bbq buffet night and at $70/pp that added up quickly! A word of advice - be floating outside the channel entrance 20 or so mins before 1:00. I arrived right on time and had to wait for 4x boats which took over an hour and a half to get in.