For a long time I was on a legacy plan from Verizon -- one that you can't get back once you give it up. I recently switched to their Unlimited Welcome plan.
I was not entirely happy about this, but it's what I needed to do. Anyway it does have an advantage that I intend to make use of the next time I travel outside the US. I believe I'll be able to switch, for just one month, from Unlimited Welcome to Unlimited Ultimate. The latter plan includes unlimited data, talk, and text while traveling internationally. And one can freely switch between plans, so it shouldn't be a problem to switch back to Unlimited Welcome after my trip.
If you don't want to do this, you can add Travel Pass to your Verizon plan, which costs $12 a day (only on days you use the mobile network during your trip).
Dan
