Breeze said:
it depends on the card and the bank-- the " debit" card I have with my ( US) bank account is a branded Mastercard. Same regs apply as if it were a " credt" card, same security of funds. ( and I was hit in a data breech several times, the bank was AWESOME in being on top of it, they knew before I knew).

I have seen and handled hundreds upon hundreds of traveler card transactions from all over the world, and tourists from every ( yes, EVERY) continent have presented cards that are either Amex, Visa or Mastercard, marked as USD or US Funds.

Interac, the Canadian bank STRICLTY debit card, that one would use solely at a bank associated ATM, is not affiliated with any credit card network, and does not function as a " purchase" card, it only works at at an AT
So, yes, the OP needs to know exactly what he is carrying/using.

Breeze.

The above is not actually true. A card is either a debit or a credit card. It can be managed by various networks such as Visa or MasterCard but it is still a debit or credit card. If your card debits funds directly from your account it is a debit card. Debit cards enjoy no protection under the law. Credit cards have very robust legal protections.
In practice most banks extend protections to their debit cards but it can still be a mess to unravel things when your account is wiped out. Cobranded debit cards can actually open you up to more abuse because they can be run through without a pin. Best practice is to use a credit card and if you have to use a debit card make sure it never leaves your hand.
G