Yes, I agree ... it doesn't apply in all cases. However, there are sufficient populations in certain parts of the islands to keep (some) restaurants going year 'round. The problem is that some prefer to "ding" people with ridiculous prices but know the locals won't or can't pay those prices, so they opt close.

If they offered good food, good service and reasonable prices at least 11 months a year, I am certain that many would have a much easier time of building a solid base of local clientelle. Even if they were to run on a reduced "summer menu" with reduced staff, at least they would still be in the running as far as local business goes.

Locals will support anyone who supports them. But if you are out to hose tourists and don't care one iota about building a loyal local trade ... that says a lot in my book.

It is really hard for waiters, waitresses chefs, bartenders, etc. (some making as little as $4.00 per hour plus tips and some who are single parents) to be laid off for two or three months a year. Is it any wonder that some of them don't inform the unsuspecting customers that a tip is already included in the bill? It's still slimy though.

As to the thing about some owners taking part of the tips, several places do that and I have that on absolute trustworthy authority from a good friend in the business. I think that's really sad.