Will_L said:
In addition most of the better BVI companies are minutes away via a chase boat in the channel..and Jost. If having a problem on a short vacation you want it remedied quickly...for 9 years I saw the statements..and paid them for a BVi based charter co. You don't want to hear.."try this and if doesn't work..call us back" . You want to hear.."the chase boat is on the way..from Roadtown , nanny cay etc.". No customs involved..usually quick resolution.

To me this sounds like a straw man that you have built up and then knocked down.

First of all I would much rather my boat not have problems. I think we all agree that's a little bit of a fantasy. But making a decision on a charter base based on how fast their chase boat comes out to you seems backwards to me. I prefer to choose my charter company based on hopefully not seeing them again until I return the boat. In my past four years chartering with CYOA I have had ZERO problems. With boat age varying from 1 to 6 years.

Second - I don't know what IPY does but CYOA does have a chase boat network. I don't know how it's set up ('cause I've never used it) but I don't believe they are sending a boat out from STT to come find you. Do you know if this is the case or is this the straw man being knocked back down?

Will_L said:
Anyway that's my take..a while back some talked about charter guests making repairs and dealing with spare parts on board etc. IMO that is not a great idea for guest or boat owner.

The narrative here is that if there are spare parts on board you (a) are required to know how to fix the boat and (b) you have to be a MacGyver? I am unaware of any charter company that requires you to fix your own boat. I am sure the charter base will ask you some questions to attempt to resolve an issue before dispatching help. How else would the chase boat come properly prepared and why would you not want to do that? But this idea that the spare parts and tool set are on board which obligates you to fix stuff I don't believe is correct and would in fact appreciate if you can tell me what charter companies require this so I can avoid them.

Maybe my caffeine level isn't high enough this morning. Sorry if this sounds surly....

Life's short - sail more!