OK, so after a full night of sleep, we awake in Saltwhistle Bay. Capt. Rick had mentioned that the sunrise over the Bay was incredible. I'm sure it was, as we we were looking due East, out to the Atlantic. David was up early to get the photo.....unfortunately it wasn't to be. Naturally, I got up way too late for that shoot. By the time I got up, breakfast and coffee were being served and discussions were underway for the sail to Bequia.
We depart from the comfy confines of Saltwhistle Bay amidst retellings of the previous evenings "antics'. A 4 hour sail among mostly benign seas takes us to the entry to Bequias bustling harbor. You know you've been out on the perimeter too long when you describe Bequia as "bustling". A close pass to the settlement at "Moonhole" brings photo opp's aplenty. What a cool spot! Houses carved into the very stone of cliffs and arches, directly above the sea. Unfortunately, many of these have been abandoned. A variety of tales explains this.....I'm not sure what's true and what's not! All I know is that it's a great way to enter a harbor. While bustling is probably not the adjective to describe Bequia, it is the most active place we've seen since Grenada.
We dinghy ashore and find a 'main street" that actually resembles a main street. Stores, especially grocery stores, are fully stocked. There's actually a Bequia "pizza hut" that even serves a decent slice of pizza. We shop and then turn to the sunset, this one should reveal the infamous "green flash". Rick has his camera set on a tri-pod and the rest of us are ready with our point and clicks. As the sun sets we're ready, but alas, after a wiggle and a wobble, no flash is seen on either night in Bequias harbor. However,both are spectacular sunsets in their own right.
A strategic decision is made amongst the crew and guests, we will stay in Bequia rather than press on to Mustique. While Mustique may be cool, it's also dead at this time of year. We'll stay where there is something hapenning. Something is better than nothing. Although Bequia is quiet this time of year as well, you can see how this place could " jamm" in season. The waterfront is quiet, but we still manage to have some fun at the Devils Table and Gingerbread for dinner. Souveniers and tee shirts are bought and we decide on our inevitible departure to Canouan. Before we leave, I decide that I could spend a week on Bequia with my family!
As is the norm, we spend a bit too much time in Bequia. We set sail for Canouan and our departure point from the boat. The afternoon sail is quiet and introspective for all. David and I are heading back to the big, bad world, Lia and Rick are picking up new charters who are tagging a ride North to the BVI. As we approach Canouan, with the sun setting off the starboard beam ( I'm getting better with the nautical terms) the sun starts it's descent into the Carbbean. WE think it's just another glorious sunset, and then right at the end a green dot! Not a green flash, but a green dot! I'll take what I can get! We arrive in Canouan and hop into the dinghy.
As we say our goodbyes, I'm struck by a couple of things. I got on a boat in Grenada with 3 complete strangers. I got off with a new bud in Nashville, and am now friends with a couple, setting off on a huge adventure going up the chain! I'll look forward to running into everybody again......sooner rather than later. This was my first "charter" aboard a sailboat. I'm no expert on chartering as this was my first, I'm certainly no expert on sailing. However, I am pretty good at having fun. If you get the chance, sail with this crew, on this boat, I GUARANTEE you'll have fun! Hope you've had as much reading as i've had writing.
Joe