Zuiderdam Panama Canal Cruise Nov 14 to 25

We showed up at 11:00 AM check in at Port Everglades only to find check in had been delayed two hours for a Super Cleaning. It seemed they had a couple of food sickness problems on the cruise they just completed. When we got there the line filled the front of the terminal and wrapped around both sides. When the line started it moved quickly and we were in our room about 2:30 PM. We had a VF category verandah cabin. It was fair sized and laid out well. The bathroom had a shower tub and was appointed well. My only complaint would be that in the entry way were the closet and bathroom doors and the area was crowded if one party was using the closet and the other coming out of the bathroom. The balcony was great with adequate room for two.

Our last trip was on the brand new Oasis of the Seas. The Zuiderdam was a bit smaller and older. While some of the decorations looked dated the ship was in great shape. I had heard reports it was a little tired but I was very happy with its condition.
The food in the Main Dinning room was a cut above the Oasis and the service was a little better also. The Passengers on the Zuiderdam were a little older than other Cruise lines but were engaging and active. Microsoft has a Digital Workshop that explains how to use their software (Window’s Live Essentials) to edit digital photos. The have about 10 different classes and repeat several of them. They are always filled and it is hard to get a seat with a computer.

The entertainment was good they had a Comedian, Magician, Steel Drum Band and three production shows with the Cruise Lines dancer and singers. The production shows were on par or above most Cruise Lines. After the show they had entertainment in the Queens Lounge Natalie ant the Hellcats. They were very good and encouraged the crowd to dance. There were a lot of good dancers that took advantage. They had a Piano Bar, In the Crows Nest they had a Singer Guitarist that was very good. They also had a group of Violinist in one of the Lounges and a few Lounges where you could converse with fellow cruisers.

The ports on this trip were great. The first was Aruba it is an easy and island to shop and tour. We went to Palm Beach for a swim and spent some time downtown. We did not set sail until 11:00PM if you wanted to enjoy the night life. Bonaire was the next Island. The dock runs parallel to their picturesque Main Street our balcony was on that side so it was like a front porch with a great view. Bonaire had a nice shopping area with pleasant clerks. As you step off the ship straight ahead is the best Straw Market I have seen in the Caribbean . While it wasn’t huge it had a large percentage of booths that were manned by the artist who often work at their craft at the booth. Curacao was the last of the ABC islands we visited. It was another great port. The ship docked in Pondo section of Curacao and to get to Williamstead you had to take the ferry of a pontoon bridge known formally as the Queen Emma footbridge and informally as the Swinging Old lady. The Bridge swings with the help of tug boats to let ships into the inner harbor. The day we were there it was St Nicks day. That day there is a carnival with the children getting candy at the end. The area next to the swing bridge was mobbed with locals. Traffic was jammed in the Pondo area. Though the ship we took a trolley ride through Williamstead .It was a interesting but basic tour of the downtown.

After a couple of sea days we entered the Panama Canal this was for me the Crown Jewel of the trip. We got to experience the locks up into Gatun Lake on the ship. It was well narrated and took a about two hours. We had breakfast on our balcony while we headed to the locks. We enjoyed the first lock in on our balcony the next two at the bow of the ship. Once in Gatun Lake we tendered to the Gutan Yacht Club where we boarded busses to take us to a ferry that took us to the lock on the Pacific side. The experience in the ferry was a great experience because the action of the locks were more pronounced. AND WE GOT TO TOUCH THE WALL!! Don’t ask me why but it was a great moment. I had spent part of the fall studying all about the locks and its history along with several good talks on the ship. It was great to see everything in real life. After the locks the ferry took us into the Pacific to a dock to meet the bus. On the way we got a great view of the Panama City skyline. It was impressive to see what a modern looking city it was. The bus took us to Colon on the Atlantic Side to meet the Ship as it had gone back through the locks while we were on the four hour trip.

Our final port was Puerto Limon Costa Rica. We did the shopping thing. It is a big port city and does not have a real comfortable feel to it. A couple of hours was enough.

After two and a half sea days we arrived at Ft Lauderdale. We had chose baggage direct. It was our fist time doing so. It was great just taking carryons to the airport and not have to worry about the luggage. It was even better when we got to Manchester Airport and found our bags on the carousals. This was a great cruise.

And now that my life is so prearranged
I know that it's time for a cool change