We are flying on Delta and are taking two PFDs with Co2 canisters for inflation. Had any had any issues with TSA or their airline carrier when checking their bags in or bringing the plane in their overhead luggage? [size:14pt][/size]
Departing Washington Dulles last year I saw the screener moving the x-ray belt back and forth on my dry bag...then watched another screener open my bag and say something like "people are crazy!" A second screener joined in on the conversation and said "that can't go". Fortunately I thought to print the airlines policy regarding pfd's and canisters. I asked for a supervisor and after reading the policy she said it was ok. I would check the current online policy and print yourself a copy just incase.
Good luck, I always carried the rules of transport on deliveries. Got busted one year for an inflatable harness in Martinique flying home after a delivery. Argued with security and got the answer that you’re not in the US so deal with it.(Add French accent) Try getting a sealed E.P.R.B. thru SVG.
Ditto to what Beerman said.. we had the same issue one time, I showed them the printout and we were fine. Granted, this was in the US, so on return you may get the response rhans got..
We've brought inflatable PFDs with us (flying from Newark to STT) on maybe 5 trips. Always in carry-on.
We've always gotten them through -- maybe we've just been lucky. I think one time we were questioned about them, and showed the screener the TSA policy (which I always bring along).
I unscrew the cartridge from the inflator, so it can't inflate accidentally, but leave the cartridge tucked into the PFD.