pat 42
jazzgal 41
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
44 registered members (luvtotravel, Ackman, crsxm, CaribbeanCanadians, KirkB, UncleLuff, camview, lcote, davidandsusannj, eightzerobits, RickinAtlanta, hokiesailor, jagmansr, SXMScubaman, Kennys, George1234, Kmon, Brian&Andi, JeanneB, Manpot, WLE, taraavo, ColoBoater, RonDon, Whale Tail, jazzgal, ohstate, NoelHall, lbksxm, foreversxm, MrEZgoin, steve74, road3682, pbd007, snman31, 9 invisible), 925 guests, and 61 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Another Flamingo/Royal Palm update #178479
12/20/2018 01:49 PM
12/20/2018 01:49 PM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Online content OP
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Online Content OP
Traveler
Auburn, WA
This was posted on Facebook and I got permission to share from an observer on island that met with Marvin the manager.
"WORK TODAY: There is a cement truck with the tall crane to deposit concrete on the roof at Flamingo. Mervin said the flat roofs showed more damage that first noted and they decided to remove and replace them. That added time, but the leaks were persistent and they decided to do it right. Again there are people busy all over the property doing a variety of things...some preparation for the coming surge when the workers arrive and the job moves into full swing.

FLAMINGO AND ROYAL PALM: Flamingo and Royal palm are being treated in tandem. Supplies for each, repairs and construction for each, workers for each, progress for each will be done concurrently.

THE WORKERS: The 200 workers who are coming are being "processed." They are expected to begin arriving in January, but the legal processing is the rate limiting step. Diamond determined they would do everything legally, so the incoming workers are getting work permits, required residency status, and all legal and insurance requirements in Sint Maarten are being met. That takes time, but it is the right way to do it--for the company, for the workers AND for Sint Maarten. The workers are coming from a pool of skilled construction workers that the general contractor uses for work they do throughout the world. They are from a variety of locations, not a single country or region. They will be housed in the "Man Camp" trailers and workers for both Flamingo and Royal Palm will live and work together. Skilled local workers are on the job and will be used throughout the rebuild.

Most of the trailers will be used for worker's quarters, but some will be used for needed administrative and construction purposes.

SECURITY: I asked how the other two properties feel about the barricade and two Flamingo people told me they love it. It is safer for everyone. Security will remain strong because work and activity will increase quickly and it is not safe for people to be wandering around with the equipment, supplies, and workers focused on rebuild. (I was with staff members the entire time I was there for safety.)"

SXM Sponsors
Re: Another Flamingo/Royal Palm update [Re: SXMScubaman] #178480
12/20/2018 01:56 PM
12/20/2018 01:56 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
And no mention of a completion date or has that been pushed back yet again?

J.D.
Re: Another Flamingo/Royal Palm update [Re: ruralcarrier] #178481
12/20/2018 01:57 PM
12/20/2018 01:57 PM
Auburn, WA
Traveler
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
And no mention of a completion date or has that been pushed back yet again?

Why is your cup always half empty when it comes to this topic?

Re: Another Flamingo/Royal Palm update [Re: SXMScubaman] #178482
12/20/2018 02:02 PM
12/20/2018 02:02 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Common sense perhaps. They can talk all they want about rebuilding but their target date is not inline with other properties and how they have come back.

J.D.
Re: Another Flamingo/Royal Palm update [Re: SXMScubaman] #178489
12/20/2018 04:26 PM
12/20/2018 04:26 PM
originally Long Island, NY/now...
irish1223 Offline
Traveler
irish1223  Offline
Traveler
originally Long Island, NY/now...
Sorry, but I have to agree with J.D. I don't have a horse in this race, but when we were on island a few weeks ago, virtually nothing was being done to either property. There was one day when we did see a 'few' workers around Royal Palm, and the large crane was sitting a bit down from Flamingo -- but it sat there without moving the entire two weeks we were on island. As I said, we don't have a reason to care one way or another (other than people getting back to work, of course), but can't help but wonder why these two properties are taking SO long to get their act together, when others (with just as much damage) are back in business, or have a much nearer projected date of completion. La Vista, which suffered a GREAT deal of damage, has already rebuilt much of their property - and they were working hard there every day, both when we were on the island in June and again this past visit. Looks great!

Sorry, but something smells fishy to me. This has to be more than just 'wanting to do it right'.

Robin & Ed

One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. - Henry Miller

Re: Another Flamingo/Royal Palm update [Re: irish1223] #178490
12/20/2018 05:22 PM
12/20/2018 05:22 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
If it were not for the Caravaserai/Alegria debacle, this would be considered one of the biggest timeshare messes going on the island.

J.D.
Re: Another Flamingo/Royal Palm update [Re: ruralcarrier] #178493
12/20/2018 05:37 PM
12/20/2018 05:37 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
I would be inclined to agree, ruralcarrier, but right now theTowers has its own set of issues going on and yet, another year passes with no timeshare legislation put in place. Promises, promises. No action!!

The Diamond situation is really a mess since many whole owners at Royal Palm ended up displaced from their homes, and some of those homes had virtually no damage at all. Bad enough the timeshare owners are getting hosed yet again, but many of those people actually lived there and are really being abused. But at least SOMEDAY, they will basically have brand new homes after all those years of ownership.

Me? As a timeshare owner, I am thoroughly pi$$ed that the government of Sint Maarten still has done NOTHING to protect our investments but at least we knew and understood this going into the deal. None of the guarantees and protections of home when dealing with something like this outside the good old US of A or Canada to name but a few.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Another Flamingo/Royal Palm update [Re: pat] #178495
12/20/2018 05:47 PM
12/20/2018 05:47 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Sad all the way around.

J.D.
Re: Another Flamingo/Royal Palm update [Re: SXMScubaman] #178505
12/20/2018 08:29 PM
12/20/2018 08:29 PM
Auburn, WA
Traveler
Traveler
Auburn, WA

"Part 2 Flamingo meeting with Mervin LeBlanc

CONSTRUCTION: There is a lot to do, but it began with securing the exteriors—roofs (nearly finished), walls are repaired, doors and windows. Once secured, they can begin the interior work, The Guts: plumbing, wiring, HVAC, The Finishes: walls, flooring, fixtures and furniture and accessories. That’s a lot of work that won’t be very interesting or show much for a while. Then multiply that by hundreds of rooms. So as the roofs are finished, the windows and doors will begin. We see some windows and doors stacked at Flamingo, and maybe there are more stacks that we can’t see from the street, and then Royal Palm. Again, multiplied by hundreds of rooms, that is a lot of material and labor to install. But, it’s about to begin!

One thing Mervin shared with me is the upgrades to the windows and doors and other construction. He said that the original doors and windows had survived two big hurricanes BEFORE Irma, and of course are weakened somewhat at each assault. When Irma tore through and left, there really was no choice but to replace all. They did not survive Irma all that well, and for those of us who were at the resorts during Irma, we would agree, they had to be replaced. Each of the units’ 4 walls are now concrete—including the wall adjoining the halls. That is another thing we Irma survivors saw, the plasterboard walls had serious and dangerous damage—many were all concrete, but many that were not concrete were destroyed (See photo below).

INTERIOR FINISHES: That’s one part that we, the guests, are most interested in because that’s the part we interact with! I’ve had a few comments from owners regarding Diamond’s on-line graphic examples. Most commenters were disappointed: it’s too ordinary, lacks Caribbean influence, boring, dated, etc. But there were several comments on the more appropriate scale—the previous furniture was too large for the rooms making it hard to adjust for using the sofa-bed, etc. The graphics also showed that in the studio rooms, the beds are still “in the kitchen.” That really may be the only solution to that space! Hopefully, the aesthetics and furnishings and fixtures will create a comfortable, attractive space. In that section of the studio, the previous abundance of cabinets, worksurface desk, and drawers were so effective and attractive, it made the entire studio function well—everything could be unpacked, and suitcases stowed for the stay.

Mervin and I didn’t discuss the finishes in any detail, but when he talked about the model rooms, I had the clear impression that the actual decorating decisions are still being processed. The graphics of the sample rooms were very small and showed limited views, so they could be wonderful, but we can’t see much. My personal suggestion is to again have a horizontal half wall mirror in the living room. It was so great to have the beautiful Caribbean sky (and more) reflected inside through the window wall and it added a lot of daylight to the units as well. Nearly all the comments asked for a more tropical island Caribbean feel to the space. I will print the comments I receive and email those to Mervin in a couple of weeks, so if you want to share your thoughts, send them to me to be included in that email.

MOCK -UP UNITS: There will be one mock up unit built to use for testing various products, procedures, and plans. Those are scheduled for completion in January. Those rooms are for construction use—to ensure that the plans and materials will successfully achieve the desired results. I understood those rooms are not open to the public.

MODEL ROOMS: There will be model units for display to the public. Those will hopefully be finished in late March. At Flamingo there will be one in building 7 and one in building 6 showing both a villa sample and an apartment sample. Mervin says they will have “Open Houses” to share the models with owners, guests, and others. We’ll be watching carefully for that “Grand Opening!” Royal Palm will also have a model room or two. If you are on the island as those open for viewing, we’ll all be watching for your photos!

MAINTENANCE FEES: Mervin said there will be maintenance fees charged for fixed weeks in 2019, however he said, “they will be smaller fees covering insurance only.” The reserves at Flamingo in 2018 were ample to cover the insurance payments for that year, but there are not reserves enough to cover 2019 insurance (which of course went up). He did not give me an amount and I did not ask--it’s not appropriate for an owner to send financial details, so we will all get that information from the official sources. Points owners will pay their standard maintenance fees per the usual formula. Personally, with another hurricane season coming in 2019, this seems fair.
I am hoping to meet with Mervin again toward the end of the first week in January and will send anything new we might learn at that time!

SCHEDULE: No change to the official completion schedule, mid 2020--but we will know more once the work commences. It's best for them to be conservative about that date, but let's all hope for good weather, good work progress, and no delays!"

Re: Another Flamingo/Royal Palm update [Re: ruralcarrier] #178506
12/20/2018 08:37 PM
12/20/2018 08:37 PM
Vancouver, WA
Todd Offline
Traveler
Todd  Offline
Traveler
Vancouver, WA
When we were at La Vista Dec 1 - 7th we counted about 7 workers at Flamingo, and that was fairly consistent for the week. Note, three were working on the landscaping but thought I would include them because the grounds are looking good. Seriously we hardly saw anybody doing anything there that week. There was more going on at Royal Palm but not much and this is over a year later. I hope they get workers at some point.

Pat, they were working at Towers until they got stopped due to...??...still don't completely understand what the hold up there is. Sounds like a rich guy pissing match.

I prefer the Isle seat