It was the “great escape” on Monday 4/7/03 when we departed Philadelphia at the start of a raging snow storm. As we started to taxi toward the runway, the pilot announced a 20 minute delay to de-ice the plane. While the plane was being de-iced we were just hoping that the flight would not be cancelled. Twenty minutes after takeoff we were cruising above the clouds in blue skies heading toward paradise. We still managed to arrive on time in SXM.<br><br>This year instead of meeting AAA Car Rental and going back to their lot to sign the paper work and receive the car, we jumped right into a waiting taxi and were whisked to Club O in 35 minutes. Fifteen minutes later after check in we were on the beach relaxing with beverage in hand. We arranged for Myra to meet us at the club two days later with our car. Since we usually just plop and settle in for the first two days anyhow, why have the car just sitting in the driveway.<br><br>The weather for the eleven days was fantastic which was a relief because last April we had only four beach days due to unusual weather patterns. <br><br>In past years sand gravity ruled our days but this year, in addition to our daily morning beach walk, we got off Orient and visited several beaches and did some extensive swimming. We spent longer days at the beaches of Cupecoy and Long Bay since the sun sets over the water versus Orient where the sun sets earlier behind the mountain. After spending some long afternoons swimming, walking and exercising our elbows on the beach, there was not much energy left to dress up and travel out to dinner. Thank God for Papagayo’s, SSBB and Rics or we would have gone to bed hungry.<br>No luck finding Dubloons at Cupecoy but found two Barracudas resting under the floating raft at Club O. <br>Karaoke Night on Sat at Club O was great. The place was packed and the talent was excellent. They even stayed open an extra hour due to popular demand.<br>People were amazed at my portable Black & Decker Blender at the Club O Beach. Folks lazily dozing on their chaise lounges awoke to the sound of my Frozen MaDou dou Punch being whipped to a creamy froth. Needless to say I had approximately a dozen inquiries regarding the blender but I really think they came for a taste of my punch for which I happily obliged. Recipe will be provided on request. Ask TTOL Bob for a taste review.<br><br>We did not make it to Hot Tomatoes on Tuesdays for the TTOL Parties due to scheduling conflicts and unfortunately did not get a chance to meet Dicky. I wore my new TTOL tank top on occasion in Marigot & Maho but no one responded. I guess not too many TTOLers were in the same areas as I was this trip.<br><br>Beaches we enjoyed:<br><br>Orient<br>Baie Rouge<br>Plum Bay<br>Long Bay<br>Cupecoy – plenty of beach the two times we were there.<br>Pinel<br><br>Places we dined:<br><br>Papagayo’s <br>Poulet de Orleans<br>Rics<br>Il Nettuno<br>Brassiere de la Gare<br>Sunset Beach Bar<br>LePetit<br>Baywatch<br>Pedro’s<br>Rancho del sol<br>Zee Best<br>La Crossainterie<br><br>TTOL People we met:<br><br>Bob & Charlene <br>Contessa with friend Jane<br>Gerry & Kathy T<br>Patty & Greg<br>Jaguar & wife<br>ESK (Rick & Martha)<br><br>Observations:<br><br>Good police presence on the French side.<br>No crime while we were there.<br>Locals & French seemed friendlier this year.<br>Restaurants emptier this year.<br>Traffic was good in and around Marigot but the usual backups coming off the hill at Cole Bay.<br>Palm Trees taller.<br>Serious beach erosion on Orient near Kon Tiki, Pedro’s and Papagayo’s.<br>New management at Club O instituted some new rules concerning the amount of towels per unit (2 bath sizes) and no more overnight reservations of choice beach chairs. The wine selection for the Wed wine & cheese party has narrowed to their own brand.<br>Only Euros dispensed at the French side ATM machines we went to.<br>MaDou dou factory is giving away a complimentary bottle for every $30 or more purchase. I should have split my purchases and gone back a second time.<br><br>Comforting thought on our last day - You have to leave SXM before you can return.<br><br>343 days and counting till next trip.<br><br><br><br>