Member Spotlight
xrayman67
xrayman67
Panama City Beach, Florida
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
36 registered members (Tom, Manpot, ericlut, MKGrey, MrEZgoin, Jim_Laraine, Fletch, ColoBoater, wendyk, BHK, geomo, Alecs, CaribbeanCanadians, MamaB, Swifty, SXMScubaman, lcote, jbutah, Zanshin, richard4th, Todd, jazzgal, Jspoone, bostonbob, KirkB, MikeMc, anet_scot, Jeannius, 8 invisible), 556 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks #181728
01/23/2019 09:53 PM
01/23/2019 09:53 PM
New York, NY
B
Bradpitch92 Offline OP
Traveler
Bradpitch92  Offline OP
Traveler
B
New York, NY
I’m looking for any suggestions or advice with our itinerary for BVI and USVI in February. We are going to be at Scrub Island from Saturday 2/9 through Saturday 2/16 (flying into Beef Island) and then at St Thomas from 2/16-2/18 before flying out of STT. Restaurant ideas would also be great, although we have some in mind. It's just my wife and I (honeymoon part 2).

Saturday afternoon and Sunday we plan to just hang around Scrub Island by going kayaking, snorkeling, chilling at the beach. Is it reasonable to check out Marina Cay or the Great Camonoe from Scrub?

On Monday we’re planning to take the ferry to Virgin Gorda and spend the day there. Does it make sense to rent a car here? It seems like a decent sized island with a lot of destinations. Is one day enough? We definitely want to check out the Baths and Gorda Peak, any other suggestions? Is one day even enough? Since we’re staying at Scrub it’s pretty easy to get here, and we could sacrifice a chill day at Scrub to come here again.

On Tuesday we're planning to take the ferry to Anegada and spend the day there. Do you think we need to rent a car or are taxis fine? Also suggestions on what to do would be helpful as I’m not too sure.

On Wednesday 2/13 we plan to take the Scrub ferry to Beef Island and explore Tortola. Likely go to a beach and also hike the National Park there.

On Thursday we signed up for the BVI Dive Island Hopper day tour that leaves directly from Scrub. It does some snorkeling over near Norman Island and then heads to Jost Van Dyke and stops at Soggy Dollar which I’m pretty stoked about.

On Friday we plan another chill day at Scrub or maybe check out Tortola.

We’re leaving on Saturday and taking the Natives Son Ferry from Road Town to Red Hook. Any advice for this ferry? I believe we do customs once we get in Red Hook.

On Sunday we plan to take the ferry in the morning to St Johns. Should we check out beaches or explore the national park? I’m not sure how well St Johns has recovered from the hurricanes.

On Monday we are flying out from STT at around 6p. Any good ideas on what we could do in the morning and early afternoon? Remember we will have all our stuff with us unless anyone knows where we could store it for the day.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions please let me know!

BVI Sponsors
Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: Bradpitch92] #181729
01/23/2019 10:08 PM
01/23/2019 10:08 PM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
Welcome! I will chime in for you day on Anegada. Rent a car from Dean (284-544-3703). He will meet you at the dock. Go to Flash of Beauty to snorkel, go to Big Bamboo for lunch, drinks at Cow Wreck and a lobster dinner at this boards’ favorite Wonky Dog. But you can’t go wrong with Anegada Reef Hotel or Potters or Lobster Trap either. Have a great vacation!

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]
Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: Bradpitch92] #181730
01/23/2019 10:13 PM
01/23/2019 10:13 PM
Connecticut
B
Bethinnewhaven Offline
Traveler
Bethinnewhaven  Offline
Traveler
B
Connecticut
The day that you are in VG assuming you are arriving early in the day I would rent a car. If you are coming into Spanishtown on the ferry then start at the Bath's end of the island and work your way over the mountain - definitely check out Spring Bay and Savannah Bay beach. On your way up the hill hang a right and check out the Copper Mine ruins (it's really cool) and then you're going to backtrack and head up onto the mountain and I expect you're just going to want to stop a couple of times and take in the fabulous view! If you take the "high" road you might want to stop at Hog Heaven for a drink, some snacks, and THE VIEW IS AMAZING! Coming back down into North Sound there are many other views and then end up at Leverick Bay for a drink (and more snacks) before you grab you boat back the Scrub.

Of course, this assumes that you are (1) arriving at Spanishtown, (2) can return from Leverick Bay, and (3) can grab a car at Spanishtown and return it at Leverck. I'll bet you can!

Have fun!

Beth
Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: Bradpitch92] #181734
01/23/2019 10:30 PM
01/23/2019 10:30 PM
Memphis, BVI, CT
R
RatmansWife Offline
Traveler
RatmansWife  Offline
Traveler
R
Memphis, BVI, CT
Definitely take the Scrub ferry to Marina Cay for lunch and/or dinner. There’s also a nice beach.

Weather permitting, kayak over to snorkel Diamond Reef and even to Cam Bay. Great Camanoe is a private island, so you cannot explore it, except by kayak.

Agree you should rent a car on Virgin Gorda. You may want to end your day at Coco Maya. Not sure about the advice to take a ferry from Leverick; Speedy’s goes to Spanishtown.

Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: Bradpitch92] #181742
01/24/2019 07:05 AM
01/24/2019 07:05 AM
Somewhere out there
kneafseym Offline
Traveler
kneafseym  Offline
Traveler
Somewhere out there
While the advice on Anegada was good, the variable is what time the ferry arrives and returns. You may not have time to really explore the island and in that case the taxi would be a better option. On VG rent a car, it will be cheaper than a cab,

Mike
Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: kneafseym] #181758
01/24/2019 10:01 AM
01/24/2019 10:01 AM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
Originally Posted by kneafseym
While the advice on Anegada was good, the variable is what time the ferry arrives and returns. You may not have time to really explore the island and in that case the taxi would be a better option. On VG rent a car, it will be cheaper than a cab,

Yeah, I should have added my suggestion is a very full day. I believe Dean charges $60 for a day for a car. So kneafseym is probably correct that a cab would be cheaper. My preference is to move when I want to. But that's just me. My narrowed down version (ferry time to ferry time) would be Big Bamboo upon arrival then on to Cow Wreck Beach. Either place is very good for lunch. If you are feeling adventurous rent scooters near the dock.

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]
Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: Bethinnewhaven] #181764
01/24/2019 10:49 AM
01/24/2019 10:49 AM
S/V Event Horizon
FRANKIE2 Offline
Traveler
FRANKIE2  Offline
Traveler
S/V Event Horizon
Originally Posted by Bethinnewhaven
The day that you are in VG assuming you are arriving early in the day I would rent a car. If you are coming into Spanishtown on the ferry then start at the Bath's end of the island and work your way over the mountain - definitely check out Spring Bay and Savannah Bay beach. On your way up the hill hang a right and check out the Copper Mine ruins (it's really cool) and then you're going to backtrack and head up onto the mountain and I expect you're just going to want to stop a couple of times and take in the fabulous view! If you take the "high" road you might want to stop at Hog Heaven for a drink, some snacks, and THE VIEW IS AMAZING! Coming back down into North Sound there are many other views and then end up at Leverick Bay for a drink (and more snacks) before you grab you boat back the Scrub.

Of course, this assumes that you are (1) arriving at Spanishtown, (2) can return from Leverick Bay, and (3) can grab a car at Spanishtown and return it at Leverck. I'll bet you can!

Have fun!

I am not aware of a post-Irma ferry from Leverick to Spanishtown. It is a long and hazardous drive from Leverick back to Spanishtown if engaging in a beer or six.

Kevin

Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: Bradpitch92] #181768
01/24/2019 11:26 AM
01/24/2019 11:26 AM
Petoskey, MI
CottageGirl Offline
Traveler
CottageGirl  Offline
Traveler
Petoskey, MI
We stayed at Scrub precharter and pre Irma. Tip: you can (when we stayed) get delicious hot breakfast sandwiches from the deli for a fraction of the price of breakfast in tne restaurants. Eat them poolside :-)
I’d just arrange for a cab on Anegada. The car is nice if you have a group or will be there a full day/night but for limited time I think prearranged cab is better. I wholeheartedly recommend drinks at Cow Wreck and the wonky Dog for lobster dinner - what chef peter is cooking up in terms of the lobsters and the sides is amazing. You won’t be disappointed. We’re headed to Anegada for a week late Feb and can’t wait!

Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: FRANKIE2] #181772
01/24/2019 11:51 AM
01/24/2019 11:51 AM
Woodstock, GA
RickinAtlanta Offline
Traveler
RickinAtlanta  Offline
Traveler
Woodstock, GA
Originally Posted by FRANKIE2

Have fun!

I am not aware of a post-Irma ferry from Leverick to Spanishtown. It is a long and hazardous drive from Leverick back to Spanishtown if engaging in a beer or six.

Kevin

Actually the drive from Leverick is incredibly easy as roads are well paved and wide. No switchbacks like Tortola. Drive is about 20 minutes +/-

Last edited by RickinAtlanta; 01/24/2019 11:52 AM.
Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: ndfaninnc] #181785
01/24/2019 12:54 PM
01/24/2019 12:54 PM
New York, NY
B
Bradpitch92 Offline OP
Traveler
Bradpitch92  Offline OP
Traveler
B
New York, NY
Originally Posted by ndfaninnc

Yeah, I should have added my suggestion is a very full day. I believe Dean charges $60 for a day for a car. So kneafseym is probably correct that a cab would be cheaper. My preference is to move when I want to. But that's just me. My narrowed down version (ferry time to ferry time) would be Big Bamboo upon arrival then on to Cow Wreck Beach. Either place is very good for lunch. If you are feeling adventurous rent scooters near the dock.

Yeah I'm limited to ferry to ferry time, which isn't too much. I think my approx time on Anegada will be from 9-5p. I think Bamboo to Cow Wreck make sense for the first 6 ish hours, and then we can finish up at Wonky Dog for late lunch/early dinner while we wait for our ferry to leave at 515p. I think it's about 1.5 hours back to Beef Island. Is it pretty easy to use taxis?

Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: CottageGirl] #181786
01/24/2019 12:55 PM
01/24/2019 12:55 PM
New York, NY
B
Bradpitch92 Offline OP
Traveler
Bradpitch92  Offline OP
Traveler
B
New York, NY
Originally Posted by CottageGirl
We stayed at Scrub precharter and pre Irma. Tip: you can (when we stayed) get delicious hot breakfast sandwiches from the deli for a fraction of the price of breakfast in tne restaurants. Eat them poolside :-)
I’d just arrange for a cab on Anegada. The car is nice if you have a group or will be there a full day/night but for limited time I think prearranged cab is better. I wholeheartedly recommend drinks at Cow Wreck and the wonky Dog for lobster dinner - what chef peter is cooking up in terms of the lobsters and the sides is amazing. You won’t be disappointed. We’re headed to Anegada for a week late Feb and can’t wait!

Very helpful info, thanks!

Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: RickinAtlanta] #181787
01/24/2019 01:03 PM
01/24/2019 01:03 PM
New York, NY
B
Bradpitch92 Offline OP
Traveler
Bradpitch92  Offline OP
Traveler
B
New York, NY
Originally Posted by RickinAtlanta
Originally Posted by FRANKIE2

Have fun!

Kevin

Actually the drive from Leverick is incredibly easy as roads are well paved and wide. No switchbacks like Tortola. Drive is about 20 minutes +/-

I believe we're taking ferries that only arrive/depart from Spanish Town. But we'll rent a car so I'm not worried about that. There's a 630a ferry from Trellis Bay to VG, is this worth it to try to get on compared to the 9a ferry? We could leave VG at either 530p or 8p, but is it worth it to stay past sunset, which is around 615p? I guess we could have a sunset dinner and chill at restaurant and then catch the ferry at 8p.

The suggestions are very helpful! Also checked out the cruise schedule, and i don't see any cruises at VG the day we plan to be there!

Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: Bradpitch92] #181797
01/24/2019 02:36 PM
01/24/2019 02:36 PM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
The only advise I would add to the Anegada day is to fly instead of taking the ferry. Is $99 roundtrip and will give you more time on the island and the flight is only 10 minutes.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com
Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: Bradpitch92] #181804
01/24/2019 03:39 PM
01/24/2019 03:39 PM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
Originally Posted by Bradpitch92
Originally Posted by ndfaninnc

Yeah I'm limited to ferry to ferry time, which isn't too much. I think my approx time on Anegada will be from 9-5p. I think Bamboo to Cow Wreck make sense for the first 6 ish hours, and then we can finish up at Wonky Dog for late lunch/early dinner while we wait for our ferry to leave at 515p. I think it's about 1.5 hours back to Beef Island. Is it pretty easy to use taxis?

Either call ahead for Dean or there is usually someone at the dock when the ferry arrives.

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]
Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: Bradpitch92] #181818
01/24/2019 04:54 PM
01/24/2019 04:54 PM
Somewhere out there
kneafseym Offline
Traveler
kneafseym  Offline
Traveler
Somewhere out there
Jason has a brilliant idea, especially since you are basically at the airport. It is a wonderful flight. No need to be at the airport 2 hours early....

Mike
Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: Bradpitch92] #181828
01/24/2019 07:05 PM
01/24/2019 07:05 PM
Michigan
I
IWIWSE Offline
Traveler
IWIWSE  Offline
Traveler
I
Michigan
Regarding Virgin Gorda,
There aren't big cruise ships that stop in VG. They stop
in Tortola and ferry over from there.
IMHO, the Baths are best if you avoid them between about 9:30am
to 3:30 pm with or without cruise ships. It doesn't take many people
to call it crowded. It's not that the experience is better, it's that it's dramatically better.
Having said that, if you can't avoid those times, it's still pretty cool with the caveat that
on cruise ship days, it's stupid crowded and a frustrating waste of time.
As far as driving, it's not difficult. Use the same caution as you use at home
with drinking and driving. That what cabs are for.
One man's opinion

Mike

Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: Bradpitch92] #183178
02/05/2019 10:51 AM
02/05/2019 10:51 AM
N
Nevermonday Offline
Traveler
Nevermonday  Offline
Traveler
N
We stayed at Scrub last year, go and chat to Louise the concierge she is amazing and had all kinds of fabulous ideas.

We took the early ferry to Virgin Gorda, walked round the baths , spectacular, went up to the North Sound and had lunch at Hog Heaven, you need some patience , service is definitely on Island Time. Went up to Leverick Bay and had an early dinner, the meal there was phenomenal in the upstairs restaurant. We also decided to do the new water activity called SNUBA and would highly recommend that as we talked to the lady who does that Eileen at Leverick and she was amazing. They met us at Scrub Island, and after our morning trip she took us back to Leverick ( for a small fee) and we had another wonderful afternoon on Virgin Gorda, highly recommended. Virgin Gorda is amazing and this year we are staying on Virgin Gorda and we cant wait.

Re: Itinerary suggestions/help! Staying at Scrub Island in 3 weeks [Re: Nevermonday] #183217
02/05/2019 04:17 PM
02/05/2019 04:17 PM
New York, NY
B
Bradpitch92 Offline OP
Traveler
Bradpitch92  Offline OP
Traveler
B
New York, NY
Originally Posted by Nevermonday
We stayed at Scrub last year, go and chat to Louise the concierge she is amazing and had all kinds of fabulous ideas.

We took the early ferry to Virgin Gorda, walked round the baths , spectacular, went up to the North Sound and had lunch at Hog Heaven, you need some patience , service is definitely on Island Time. Went up to Leverick Bay and had an early dinner, the meal there was phenomenal in the upstairs restaurant. We also decided to do the new water activity called SNUBA and would highly recommend that as we talked to the lady who does that Eileen at Leverick and she was amazing. They met us at Scrub Island, and after our morning trip she took us back to Leverick ( for a small fee) and we had another wonderful afternoon on Virgin Gorda, highly recommended. Virgin Gorda is amazing and this year we are staying on Virgin Gorda and we cant wait.

What early ferry did you take? Do you happen to have Eileen's contact info or more info? One last question, did you rent a car in VG?