pat 42
Todd 40
jazzgal 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
30 registered members (Memphré, magpie, jaxon60, Midsouth, TravelHat, eightzerobits, GeorgeC1, sugarae, xrayman67, LINNY, SXMScubaman, Standrea, ericlut, SXMBND, Kennys, bailau, CaribbeanCanadians, jazzgal, BHK, 11 invisible), 982 guests, and 72 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #195987
05/26/2019 01:33 PM
05/26/2019 01:33 PM
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
What happens when I want to arrive to a mooring field early?

With FCFS I can get to a field at 8 or 9am and pick up a ball. What if I reserve a BB, arrive and the previous tenant is on it? Circle around for a few hours? many bareboat charters are likely running at over $50 per hour if you apportion the weekly cost.

...and that is again ignoring the fact that people come to the BVI to CHILL OUT! Not fight over some out-of-towner's poorly conceived basement project.

Our experience is that the charter companies are against BB (Moorings/Sunsail certainly).

For anyone else like us who are against this nonsense, you may be reassured to hear that after 11 days in the BVI we have completely avoided BB and had no issues. We have though used our anchor a lot more than we would have. If they are allowed to get more of a foothold however, it will be to the detriment of all.

BVI Sponsors
Re: Boatybal [Re: FRANKIE2] #195988
05/26/2019 01:42 PM
05/26/2019 01:42 PM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
Once BB get more than a foothold, demand for boaty ball will skyrocket. Not because of a love affair between the cruiser and BB, actually quite the opposite, because valuable long standing choices that kept people coming to the BVI will be gone. For decades we had choices and flexibility. Sadly this may be destroyed out of BB misguided quest to make it better.

In response to some of my postings on BB, I have been told “so don’t use BB”. You can’t anchor everywhere. If BB did not convert fcfs to BB, them I would not be impacted and would view BB as a positive for the BVI. My opportunity to use fcfs are being reduced. as such, I am being pushed to use BB by the change they introduced.

I have been in the BVI 3 weeks since the introduction of BB. So far, I have not had to use BB even once. I had no issue getting a fcfs ball anywhere including Cooper. This will no doubt change with the continued conversion of fcfs balls.

BB has stated that the benefit to BB is that you can sail all day. I don’t get this. It’s typically not more than a couple of hours of sheltered sailing until the next beautiful destination. What’s wrong with spending quality time at the next destination snorkeling, walking the beach, visit locals beach bars etc.

If I want to sail all day, I would head down island to get longer open water passages. I would not go to the beautiful BVI.

Last edited by warren460; 05/26/2019 01:56 PM.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 50 (winner of best crewed yacht under 55 feet at the St. Thomas crewed yacht boat show).

https://www.cyabrochure.com/ebn/2307/pdyrX/6642/4///
Re: Boatybal [Re: warren460] #195993
05/26/2019 02:14 PM
05/26/2019 02:14 PM
C
Christo Offline
Traveler
Christo  Offline
Traveler
C
Originally Posted by warren460
Once BB get more than a foothold, demand for boaty ball will skyrocket. Not because of a love affair between the cruiser and BB, actually quite the opposite, because valuable long standing choices that kept people coming to the BVI will be gone. For decades we had choices and flexibility. Sadly this may be destroyed out of BB misguided quest to make it better.

In response to some of my postings on BB, I have been told “so don’t use BB”. You can’t anchor everywhere. If BB did not convert fcfs to BB, them I would not be impacted and would view BB as a positive for the BVI. My opportunity to use fcfs are being reduced. as such, I am being pushed to use BB by the change they introduced.

I have been in the BVI 3 weeks since the introduction of BB. So far, I have not had to use BB even once. I had no issue getting a fcfs ball anywhere including Cooper. This will no doubt change with the continued conversion of fcfs balls.

BB has stated that the benefit to BB is that you can sail all day. I don’t get this. It’s typically not more than a couple of hours of sheltered sailing until the next beautiful destination. What’s wrong with spending quality time at the next destination snorkeling, walking the beach, visit locals beach bars etc.

If I want to sail all day, I would head down island to get longer open water passages. I would not go to the beautiful BVI.

+1

Re: Boatybal [Re: Christo] #196000
05/26/2019 03:59 PM
05/26/2019 03:59 PM
Germany, Bergkamen
B
bigbone Offline
Traveler
bigbone  Offline
Traveler
B
Germany, Bergkamen
Originally Posted by Christo

+1

+1

Re: Boatybal [Re: warren460] #196001
05/26/2019 04:17 PM
05/26/2019 04:17 PM
An island state of mind
tradewinds Offline
Traveler
tradewinds  Offline
Traveler
An island state of mind
Well said. Seriously, how many times have you done 3 tacks in the SFDC and your crew starts asking when we're gonna get to your destination for the day.

Re: Boatybal [Re: tradewinds] #196006
05/26/2019 04:49 PM
05/26/2019 04:49 PM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
That happens almost every time.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo
Lagoon 50 (winner of best crewed yacht under 55 feet at the St. Thomas crewed yacht boat show).

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #215642
01/26/2020 09:29 PM
01/26/2020 09:29 PM
New York
gabrij Offline
Traveler
gabrij  Offline
Traveler
New York
I have been chartering in the BVI's for the past 30 years, and this was my first trip with the BoatyBall option. I'm a believer!!!! Racing for moorings in popular harbors had become a major distraction in recent years. While the 7AM check-in is a bit early, it makes the rest of the day MUCH more relaxing knowing we can spend the day sailing and still have a spot. In addition, the folks at BoatyBall were extremely helpful and friendly in my correspondence with them. I can't say enough good things about them!!!!

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #215643
01/26/2020 10:00 PM
01/26/2020 10:00 PM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Online content
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Online Content
Traveler
GA/NC
You will still be racing at the busy times unless you pay the 436 dollar fee to jump to the head of the line.
G

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #215789
01/27/2020 07:47 PM
01/27/2020 07:47 PM
K
Kryssa Offline
Traveler
Kryssa  Offline
Traveler
K
We liked having Boaty Ball as an option on our last trip. We sometimes have dives booked from specific anchorages and it's nice to not have to arrive at some of them (Cooper especially!) by noon to make sure we have a ball for that night.

The day we sailed to Anegada we left around 1:30 pm because we dove that morning. There was no anxiety because we knew we had a ball waiting for us when we arrived late in the afternoon.

No system is perfect and I wish they'd add more balls for everyone - BB and FCFS!

Last edited by Kryssa; 01/27/2020 07:48 PM.
Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #215844
01/28/2020 09:04 AM
01/28/2020 09:04 AM
East Tennessee
Annoddddd Offline
Traveler
Annoddddd  Offline
Traveler
East Tennessee
It’s my understanding there is a premium fee for a very limited number of users. Maybe 6.

So that still allows plenty of BB for the rest of us to reserve at 7am.

We are also a fan of BB because our day isn’t rushed.

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #215845
01/28/2020 09:20 AM
01/28/2020 09:20 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Online content
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Online Content
Traveler
GA/NC
Premium users are for the moment limited to six plus everyone who books a charter through boatyball. That has no limit. 6 is a test. I can assure you that if they have more demand they will sell more. In addition your chances of getting a ball at Cooper or Great Harbor during busy times are virtually nil on a cellular internet hookup. As boatyball gains a greater percentage of the mooring balls expect the costs to go higher. Your chances of getting a FCFS ball also will be lower.
Boatyball is about taking your charter dollars that normally went to the BVI economy and diverting the money to a small group of people in the US. In addition instead of spreading the balls throughout a anchorage they have taken the best balls in each location. Where are the promised FCFS boatyballs?
G

Re: Boatyball [Re: GeorgeC1] #215855
01/28/2020 10:22 AM
01/28/2020 10:22 AM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Originally Posted by GeorgeC1
Premium users are for the moment limited to six plus everyone who books a charter through boatyball. That has no limit. 6 is a test. I can assure you that if they have more demand they will sell more. In addition your chances of getting a ball at Cooper or Great Harbor during busy times are virtually nil on a cellular internet hookup. As boatyball gains a greater percentage of the mooring balls expect the costs to go higher. Your chances of getting a FCFS ball also will be lower.
Boatyball is about taking your charter dollars that normally went to the BVI economy and diverting the money to a small group of people in the US. In addition instead of spreading the balls throughout a anchorage they have taken the best balls in each location. Where are the promised FCFS boatyballs?
G

How did they take the best balls in each location? Everyone is complaining that at Cooper they have the closest balls but here in CGB they have the balls in the middle of the mooring field and none of the balls in the SE corner which is closest to the dinghy dock and most protect in swells. Exactly which are the best balls? Does it vary by anchorage?

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com
Re: Boatyball [Re: JasonHelmbrecht] #215858
01/28/2020 11:03 AM
01/28/2020 11:03 AM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Boatyball will keep growing and will keep raising prices and the government can’t do a thing about it because the Belongers who have the seabed rights are the ones profiting and the overweight charterers will pay anything for comfort. The restaurants don’t really have a say unless they own the seabed.
The few ruin things for the many.

Re: Boatyball [Re: Christo] #215861
01/28/2020 11:17 AM
01/28/2020 11:17 AM
Knoxville, TN
L
Laserking Offline
Traveler
Laserking  Offline
Traveler
L
Knoxville, TN
I completely agree. I have chartered in the BVI many, many times and also the Grenadines. I just don't like the concept of Boaty Ball at all. It is eventually going to be a monopoly, which will cause all kinds of problems. If there isn't a ball available, then just anchor. It's amazing to me the number of people who are afraid to have to do this. If you can't comfortably drop a hook, even in a crowded anchorage then you don't need to be chartering a yacht. I do realize that there are some places, specifically Cooper Island/Manchioneel Bay, that you are not supposed to anchor because of the depth, grass beds, etc. Just plan your day to arrive there earlier and get a fee ball. My experience is that even if you're there by 3pm and all the balls are taken, there is always someone leaving a ball late. I've never not been able to get a ball there, even in the middle of the high season. Another option, and one I quite like, is to anchor overnight at Salt Island. Obviously, you have to carefully check the wind/weather and swell forecast, but it's 10-15 feet of water on a sand bottom, and we've been there overnight in a 30 kt blow with no problems whatsoever. If you're nervous, put out two anchors.

Doc
Re: Boatyball [Re: Christo] #215863
01/28/2020 11:22 AM
01/28/2020 11:22 AM
Knoxville, TN
L
Laserking Offline
Traveler
Laserking  Offline
Traveler
L
Knoxville, TN
I posted this reply on a much older page, but thought it might be worth reposting if I may:

I completely agree. I have chartered in the BVI many, many times and also the Grenadines. I just don't like the concept of Boaty Ball at all. It is eventually going to be a monopoly, which will cause all kinds of problems. If there isn't a ball available, then just anchor. It's amazing to me the number of people who are afraid to have to do this. If you can't comfortably drop a hook, even in a crowded anchorage then you don't need to be chartering a yacht. I do realize that there are some places, specifically Cooper Island/Manchioneel Bay, that you are not supposed to anchor because of the depth, grass beds, etc. Just plan your day to arrive there earlier and get a fee ball. My experience is that even if you're there by 3pm and all the balls are taken, there is always someone leaving a ball late. I've never not been able to get a ball there, even in the middle of the high season. Another option, and one I quite like, is to anchor overnight at Salt Island. Obviously, you have to carefully check the wind/weather and swell forecast, but it's 10-15 feet of water on a sand bottom, and we've been there overnight in a 30 kt blow with no problems whatsoever. If you're nervous, put out two anchors.

Doc
Re: Boatyball [Re: Laserking] #215868
01/28/2020 11:45 AM
01/28/2020 11:45 AM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Without the proper ground tackle it becomes very difficult To anchor in a crowded mooring field

Re: Boatyball [Re: JasonHelmbrecht] #215869
01/28/2020 11:57 AM
01/28/2020 11:57 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Online content
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Online Content
Traveler
GA/NC
Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
G

How did they take the best balls in each location? Everyone is complaining that at Cooper they have the closest balls but here in CGB they have the balls in the middle of the mooring field and none of the balls in the SE corner which is closest to the dinghy dock and most protect in swells. Exactly which are the best balls? Does it vary by anchorage?

I guess best in each location is up to individual preferences. The balls they took in CDB are my first choice. They are near the best swimming beach. The most scenic, Close to the dinghy dock and most important where kids want to be. I don’t overnight often in CGB with a North swell but my experience is even the E corner is impacted. The balls they took in CDB used to be the first balls taken. Now they sit empty. Last trip we came into CDB late and they were 2 being used. The rest were empty. The balls are not out in the middle.

Last edited by GeorgeC1; 01/28/2020 11:58 AM.
Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #215915
01/28/2020 06:19 PM
01/28/2020 06:19 PM
Redmond, WA
MrEZgoin Offline
Traveler
MrEZgoin  Offline
Traveler
Redmond, WA
Just came back into Pirates Bight and there are thirty or so orange mooring balls just like the boaty balls, but they do not have the "reservation only" sticker. We assumed this was a transition, but the fellow who collected the mooring fee seemed to think these were not going to be BBs... Time will tell.

Last edited by MrEZgoin; 01/28/2020 06:19 PM.

M4000 "Lio Kai"
Re: Boatyball [Re: MrEZgoin] #215956
01/29/2020 09:19 AM
01/29/2020 09:19 AM
Maryland
Kirk Offline
Traveler
Kirk  Offline
Traveler
Maryland
Originally Posted by MrEZgoin
Just came back into Pirates Bight and there are thirty or so orange mooring balls just like the boaty balls, but they do not have the "reservation only" sticker. We assumed this was a transition, but the fellow who collected the mooring fee seemed to think these were not going to be BBs... Time will tell.

Did anybody use those balls?

Kirk in Maryland
Re: Boatyball [Re: GeorgeC1] #215957
01/29/2020 09:25 AM
01/29/2020 09:25 AM
Knoxville, TN
L
Laserking Offline
Traveler
Laserking  Offline
Traveler
L
Knoxville, TN
Agree. The few ruin things for the many, as someone stated.

Doc
Re: Boatyball [Re: GeorgeC1] #215964
01/29/2020 09:49 AM
01/29/2020 09:49 AM
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
JasonHelmbrecht Offline
Traveler
JasonHelmbrecht  Offline
Traveler
Cane Garden Bay, Tortola
Originally Posted by JasonHelmbrecht
G

I guess best in each location is up to individual preferences. The balls they took in CDB are my first choice. They are near the best swimming beach. The most scenic, Close to the dinghy dock and most important where kids want to be. I don’t overnight often in CGB with a North swell but my experience is even the E corner is impacted. The balls they took in CDB used to be the first balls taken. Now they sit empty. Last trip we came into CDB late and they were 2 being used. The rest were empty. The balls are not out in the middle.

They are absolutely in the middle. I am looking at them as I type this. There are FCFS balls closer to shore, closer to the reef, farther to the SE, farther to the NW, and closer to the dinghy dock. I don't know how they could be more in the middle.

JasonHelmbrecht
Coconut Breeze Villas
Cane Garden Bay
reservations@coconutbreezevillas.com
www.coconutbreezevillas.com
Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #215972
01/29/2020 10:29 AM
01/29/2020 10:29 AM
Maryland
Kirk Offline
Traveler
Kirk  Offline
Traveler
Maryland
Currently in CGB...from the pussercam

Attached Files Annotation 2020-01-29 092842.jpg
Last edited by Kirk; 01/29/2020 10:30 AM.

Kirk in Maryland
Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #215975
01/29/2020 11:25 AM
01/29/2020 11:25 AM
Washington DC
B
bailau Online content
Traveler
bailau  Online Content
Traveler
B
Washington DC
There is no bigger buzz kill then opening this Forum and seeing the the topic "boatyball" up top...

Fortunately Kirk's beautiful picture made it at least bearable

Re: Boatyball [Re: bailau] #215995
01/29/2020 01:54 PM
01/29/2020 01:54 PM
F
FLJim Offline
Traveler
FLJim  Offline
Traveler
F
clapping

Re: Boatyball [Re: Kirk] #216008
01/29/2020 04:48 PM
01/29/2020 04:48 PM
Redmond, WA
MrEZgoin Offline
Traveler
MrEZgoin  Offline
Traveler
Redmond, WA
We picked one up. Figured they didn't say reservation only and did not appear on the website. Most had been avoided though. We thought this was just a transition, but the guy who came to collect denied that these would be boaty balls and seemed annoyed at the situation.

M4000 "Lio Kai"
Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #216022
01/29/2020 07:50 PM
01/29/2020 07:50 PM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
I think that those balls say pirates.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #216652
02/04/2020 10:41 PM
02/04/2020 10:41 PM
Midwest
S
sunshine44 Offline
Traveler
sunshine44  Offline
Traveler
S
Midwest
We had a reserved Boaty Ball today at Cooper Island we arrive at 3:30 and there is a Moorings 45 Cat on our reserved ball. We get there attention and tell them that we have reserved that ball for the night. The response from the “captain” on the boat was “I’m an experienced captain and the Moorings told us this morning at our chart briefing that the Boaty Ball system is not in use anymore.

Re: Boatyball [Re: sunshine44] #216658
02/05/2020 12:31 AM
02/05/2020 12:31 AM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
What happened after the captain advised that boatyball is not in use anymore?

Warren S/V Scuba Doo

Re: Boatyball [Re: warren460] #216660
02/05/2020 06:45 AM
02/05/2020 06:45 AM
Midwest
S
sunshine44 Offline
Traveler
sunshine44  Offline
Traveler
S
Midwest
We told him that the staff from Cooper Island could come out and inform him that Boaty Ball is still in use. He said they didn’t need to do that but the Moorings told him it wasn’t and that is why he was on the ball. After some condescending remarks from him he moved off of our ball.

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #216664
02/05/2020 08:21 AM
02/05/2020 08:21 AM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
Just the sort of fun you don’t need on vacation.

Boatyball created a mess. Sorry you had to deal with it.

Probably best to avoid boatyball for the rest of your holiday.

Last edited by warren460; 02/05/2020 08:21 AM.

Warren S/V Scuba Doo

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #216671
02/05/2020 08:49 AM
02/05/2020 08:49 AM
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Manpot Offline
Traveler
Manpot  Offline
Traveler
Tortola/ Sonoma, California
Boycotball..

Re: Boatyball [Re: warren460] #216674
02/05/2020 09:17 AM
02/05/2020 09:17 AM
S
sail445 Offline
Traveler
sail445  Offline
Traveler
S
Just the sort of fun you don’t need on vacation.

Boatyball created a mess. Sorry you had to deal with it.

Probably best to avoid boatyball for the rest of your holiday.

I wonder how many unreported similar situations there have been

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #216675
02/05/2020 09:24 AM
02/05/2020 09:24 AM
Washington DC
B
bailau Online content
Traveler
bailau  Online Content
Traveler
B
Washington DC
still a buzzkill...until the business's get boycotted or bad reviews nothing will change. Cooper isnt even on our list anymore due to their bad service and bad "parking"...

Moorings needs to tell captains that boatyball is only open for squatting if no one reserves the ball which is easy to determine online...:)

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #216687
02/05/2020 10:34 AM
02/05/2020 10:34 AM
Ontario, Canada
H
henryv Offline
Traveler
henryv  Offline
Traveler
H
Ontario, Canada
I suspect that once Peter Island adds their 60+ balls and once Saba and Bitter End balls are back in service boaters will relax and trust that reservations will generally not be needed. With so many more options coming on line it is hard to see the need.
We did three weeks in Nov/ Dec with no need for boaty balls and are on board again now. I simply refuse to spoil my holiday with the frantic 7 am on line reservation scramble.

Henryv
Re: Boatyball [Re: henryv] #216762
02/05/2020 10:35 PM
02/05/2020 10:35 PM
Ontario, Canada
warren460 Offline
Traveler
warren460  Offline
Traveler
Ontario, Canada
Boycotball,

Warren S/V Scuba Doo

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #216765
02/05/2020 11:01 PM
02/05/2020 11:01 PM
Folsom Lake, CA
L
Latadjust Offline
Traveler
Latadjust  Offline
Traveler
L
Folsom Lake, CA
I noticed a FCFS ball showed up on Btyball tonight, maybe they could redeem themselves by showing all available (open) FCFS balls in the areas that they have moorings, it would require some on-site effort, but the way this is now is just bad juju

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #216768
02/06/2020 12:53 AM
02/06/2020 12:53 AM
Ohio
S
Sedona Offline
Traveler
Sedona  Offline
Traveler
S
Ohio
We’re heading down there next week. I’ll see what Moorings says about boatyball during the chart briefing!

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #216853
02/06/2020 06:23 PM
02/06/2020 06:23 PM
Washington DC
B
bailau Online content
Traveler
bailau  Online Content
Traveler
B
Washington DC
Looks like Cooper is starting to get hit courtesy of BB and their own bad service

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...land_British_Virgin_Islands.html#REVIEWS

Feb 2 review

Re: Boatyball [Re: FRANKIE2] #217192
02/10/2020 02:15 PM
02/10/2020 02:15 PM
dcareri Offline
Traveler
dcareri  Offline
Traveler
I hate to keep this thread going but...

I’m a full time cruiser now and only occasionally come back to the BVI when we have visitors on the boat. After pulling into Great Harbor on Jost today and seeing 7 or maybe 8 FCFS ball with everything else converted to boatyball it drove home the point to me that this is such a bad idea and it certainly makes me not want to spend a ton of time in the BVI anymore.

I understand all the pro arguments for boatyball and anchoring instead, although in places like great harbor the holding is bad and in many other places there is not a lot of room anymore. I also know I’m nott the target audience but this nonsense will convince me to spend less time and money than I normally would. We loved the BVI for 20+ years and it’s too bad something like ruins it for some of us.

I think the only way to make this go away is to convince the owners of the mooring balls that this is costing them and other merchants money. Anyone knows who owns these balls in great harbor?

Dennis
S/V Toes in the Water
Lagoon 450
Re: Boatyball [Re: dcareri] #217194
02/10/2020 02:32 PM
02/10/2020 02:32 PM
CT USA
P
Philggct Offline
Traveler
Philggct  Offline
Traveler
P
CT USA
Click on the mooring on their site and it tells you the owner. I’m not sure how this costs them money.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13