Member Spotlight
joe9090
joe9090
new jersey
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
16 registered members (SXMScubaman, Standrea, CJIMI, ydrwrb1, ColoBoater, fabila, Kennys, Kegoangoango, TRIM, SXMBND, marybeth, steve74, AdventureAddict, 3 invisible), 646 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hotels Simpson Bay #260444
07/12/2021 04:22 PM
07/12/2021 04:22 PM
rhode island
M
mikec Offline OP
Traveler
mikec  Offline OP
Traveler
M
rhode island
My wife and i are planning a trip to sxm in October. we have been to sxm many times but not since the hurricane. in the past we have stayed on the french side in oyster pond area. This time we want to stay on the dutch side in simpson bay. We are looking for some place nice to stay. my wife has a bad ankle so we need something with easy access Any suggestions would be appreciated. .

SXM Sponsors
Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: mikec] #260447
07/12/2021 05:18 PM
07/12/2021 05:18 PM
New York, New York
G
gracie105 Offline
Traveler
gracie105  Offline
Traveler
G
New York, New York
Mary Boons is perfect, beach right outside your door, restaurant on property and Karacters is right next door

Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: mikec] #260449
07/12/2021 05:57 PM
07/12/2021 05:57 PM
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
islandgem Offline
Traveler
islandgem  Offline
Traveler
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Check out Beachside Villas right on Simpson Bay Beach!

Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: mikec] #260450
07/12/2021 06:02 PM
07/12/2021 06:02 PM
B
BlueGreenWater Offline
Traveler
BlueGreenWater  Offline
Traveler
B
Simpson Bay Villas

Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: mikec] #260452
07/12/2021 06:26 PM
07/12/2021 06:26 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
What are you looking for? Are you looking for someplace with a front desk and those kinds of services??? Do you want a restaurant on site??? If not, would definitely suggest Beachside Villas! The units have only one or two steps to get into the unit, and once you are there, everything is totally flat. Parking is also totally flat, and even the units that are the furthest from parking are a short walk. The units themselves provide everything you need, if you want a full kitchen, including a grill, plus a full living room, separate bedroom, and 2 full bathrooms, even in the one bedroom unit. The kitchens are fully appointed, with everything you need to cook. The units are fully air conditioned, each with it's own porch, full ocean view, and about 5 steps going down to the sand. There is a pool onsite, and again, fully flat to access the pool.

If you need modern, white, decor, Beachside isn't for you. If you need stainless steel appliances and granite countertops, Beachside isn't for you. But if you want Caribbean decor, comfortable, great, unobstructed view of the ocean, Beachside is for you!!

Carol Hill
Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: mikec] #260455
07/12/2021 07:09 PM
07/12/2021 07:09 PM
F
foreversxm Offline
Traveler
foreversxm  Offline
Traveler
F
Over the past 25 years we’ve stayed at all of them on Simpson and by far Mary’s Boon IMO,,,is the best if you’re looking for comfortable with with true hotel amenities. Small Caribbean style hotel about 40 rooms most of them on the beach, free calls to the USA, security ,hassle free parking , they have their own USA satellite TV system and fast Internet. great friendly responsive staff 24 hours in case you have any issues, back up generator because the power goes off often on the island. The others on that beach are Mostly smaller guesthouse or condo type places no real services or it amenities. Some people don’t think they need the extras but so many reasons you really do. They have their own Open air dining room, restaurant.
Very popular beach bar so there’s no reason to go next-door to karacters. It’s better and on the weekends either have a DJ or live band on the beach. It’s really incredible property kind of a Ernest Hemingway getaway kind of place. I hate to recommend because it’s getting harder and harder for me to get my favorite room. 😂 look at all the websites pictures etc. other reviews , not just on this site ,compare , do your own research you’ll be fine.

Last edited by foreversxm; 07/12/2021 07:10 PM.
Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: mikec] #260456
07/12/2021 07:10 PM
07/12/2021 07:10 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
We are also huge fans of Beachside Villas and agree with everything Carol has stated. We love being there and while I enjoy sitting on the porch or in the sand in front of it, my DH enjoys standing at the front door watching the planes, big and little, come and go.

The pool and pool deck are nice and very under-used and if you don’t feel like cooking in you can easily walk next door to ElZafiro for your meal or libation of choice.

At one time I thought our high two bedroom timeshare at the Towers over-looking much of the island was the best address on SXM I’d experienced but since we discovered BSV. I’m singing a very different song these days. It’s clean, comfy, well maintained and staffed with a collection of lovely workers. I couldn’t ask for more.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: foreversxm] #260465
07/12/2021 08:02 PM
07/12/2021 08:02 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
forever--when you say, no amenities at other places along Simpson Bay, it depends on your definition of that. Beachside definitely has good internet, cable TV, and great staff, including night-time security. I really do not find I miss any services there at all. My number one priority is view, and Beachside has that in spades, in every room.

Carol Hill
Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: mikec] #260473
07/13/2021 07:49 AM
07/13/2021 07:49 AM
Westchester /NYC
Colour1 Offline
Traveler
Colour1  Offline
Traveler
Westchester /NYC
There are more than a few places on Simson bay beach. We stayed at Mary's Boone many times. But the rates went past what I was willing to pay for. While walking the beach, I came across Beachside Villa's. Looked into it. Yolanda and Telli Mascarin were owns and operators of the complex. They sent me this beautiful booklet all about this lovely diamond on this "private beach"! Telli has since past, we miss him so, God bless and Yolanda has past the torch on to her son Drew and daughter in law Tracy who have done an amazing job taking over the raines!! One thing that was not mentioned to this point. It is a fully gated complex! Once you are are booked, you will received a code for the front and back pool gates. We have met friends there over the years, and now look forward to seeing them at "our" time frame Oct-Nov!! We are now called BSV-North!!! My catch phrase for BSV is: "You will want for nothing". This place has it all IMHO! http://www.beachsidevillas.com/

Attached Files BSV chairs and beach (2).jpgDavid Breakfast BSV simply 11-2019.jpgDavid, welcome to unit #1.jpg4th July gang.jpeg

Sand Gravity, got to love it!
Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: Carol_Hill] #260499
07/13/2021 11:23 AM
07/13/2021 11:23 AM
F
foreversxm Offline
Traveler
foreversxm  Offline
Traveler
F
We enjoyed BSV the times we stayed there. We also like the the others on the beach but they are and just don’t compare IMO. Basically everything else on the beach like I said is very small guesthouses or condos. We just prefer a few more options and the social aspect of Mary’s Boon or other full service true hotel type properties. We like the fact that Marys Boon has a bar and restaurant on property, we can just walk up there get whatever we want or they will bring it to the room. I love the USA free phone calls because my husband is constantly calling his office unfortunately. Like I said the generator and water system is a must on Sxm. We can use or Mileage credit card, as I remembered beachsIde Villas made us pay by check in advance. We sit on our patio and able to talk to and meet other guests. The beach is incredible they have new chairs and umbrellas and you can have a cushion if you want. The flower gardens are lovely. I could go on ,it’s just a special unique place and constantly being improved her upgraded. Regardless if it’s garden or beachfront every room is within 20 steps or so of the beach. Rates really pretty good for what we want. When we stay in the garden room we pay about $95 per night in the summertime plus taxes If we book direct , beech front slightly more. Years ago we would’ve never of considered Marys Boon only because we hadn’t seen it or had a wrong impression. Funny name etc. but their history and clientele is just amazing. Of course we’re always open for better and do shop around but seem to always end up back at Mary’s Boon. Possibly some people haven’t been there for a long time but they really need to walk back down and see what it’s become and is now. Honestly There’s not a bad property on that beach. It’s all paradise to us.

Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: mikec] #260505
07/13/2021 12:02 PM
07/13/2021 12:02 PM
Long Island NY
S
SurferMike Offline
Traveler
SurferMike  Offline
Traveler
S
Long Island NY
You can’t beat The Horny Toad Guesthouse. Been staying there since 2004. Has ground floor entrances also that lead right out to the beach.

Last edited by SurferMike; 07/13/2021 12:05 PM.
Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: mikec] #260506
07/13/2021 12:14 PM
07/13/2021 12:14 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
From my personal experiences, BSV and Mary’s Boon, are both great properties and the things that MIGHT make one better than the other is really based on what you’re looking for in your stay.

If you’re looking for a full service resort but something smaller and in keeping with island style, I’d opt for Mary’s Boon. We’ve enjoyed our stays there and in fact, we almost purchased a timeshare there once upon a time when the Clevelands first purchased it. It has nice pricing for many different room types and locations and features a lovely and usually very accessible water access location on Simpson Bay Beach. It’s amenities include a full service restaurant and bar plus beach service and chairs, etc. I’m not certain if it offers a concierge desk now - it didn’t when we last stayed there, and it may offer a massage service - not sure about that anymore. All in all its a lovely place to stay if you’re looking for an island style smaller guest house/hotel with a certain amount of activity much if the time. The only problem we ever had there was occasionally finding convenient parking but that’s not usually a major issue.

But on the other hand, BSV is equally lovely. The rooms are tastefully decorated with a definite island vibe and they have provided basically everything you could possibly want to “live on the island’ for a week or two or more” …….the pool is very nice with plenty of lounges for the few who spend their time there. The parking is easy and accessible, and curbside for many of the units. No restaurant or bar on location but there’s one next door within easy walking distance if you’re of a mind. The unit porches feature a table and chairs and beach lounges and lounges in the sand as well. Again, the units are fully stocked with everything you could want and if it isn’t there, chances are pretty good the wonderful maids will find it for you if they can. The units are fully air-conditioned, have excellent wifi and tv in the living room with loads of stations.

I guess the difference in the properties arises when you start asking about amenities. In my mind I think of amenities as possibly including but not limited to a car rental agency on site; a concierge desk to book trips and dinner reservations; restaurants and bars; as well as a gym and airport livery service on site. BSV doesn’t have these particular services but it has everything else most travelers want as well as a staff that will turn themselves inside out to make you happy.

Neither, in my mind is better or worse - just different from each other and the choice should come down to the visitors personal wants and needs in a vacation destination.

And while these two properties are my choices, there are lots of other places on Simpson Bay Beach. Good luck in finding your special heaven on earth.

Respectfully,

pat

them."
Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: pat] #260509
07/13/2021 01:14 PM
07/13/2021 01:14 PM
canada
G
greenfields Offline
Traveler
greenfields  Offline
Traveler
G
canada
Bang on Pat, as usual.

I've stayed at both MB and Beachside, and am again next March, bookending a week at Shoal Bay. Love them both, for all the various reasons you listed. Would be nice if BS could enter this century and enable some other payment options, but otherwise, no complaints. These are the only two choices I consider, if I'm staying on that side of the island. That said, different strokes for different folks. No right or wrong answers here.....just depends on what you want.

Greenfields
Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: mikec] #260515
07/13/2021 02:42 PM
07/13/2021 02:42 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Thanks, greenfields,,

What part of Canada are you from? Not me personally, but most of my family came to the States originally from the rock.

I understand that many would like to see the BSV owners accept credit cards in payment and I get it. We ALL like to rack up those FF miles and points, don’t we?

Personally speaking, I think they have done an excellent job during very trying times to maintain their rental rates as best they can and I’m quite certain, were they to start accepting cc payments, they would absolutely have to raise their rates considerably to make up the revenue loss. I’m good with doing it their way for as long as it takes or as long as their able.

Respectfully,

pat

them."
Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: pat] #260520
07/13/2021 05:10 PM
07/13/2021 05:10 PM
canada
G
greenfields Offline
Traveler
greenfields  Offline
Traveler
G
canada
Hi Pat

Good (and reasonable!) point. I guess I've just gotten lazy. To pay BS, I have to actually go to the bank, to get a US funds bank draft (a personal cheque from me, drawn on a Canadian bank, would result in a "what's this?" at the BS bank), then go and buy an envelope (because I don't have any), then go to the post office to buy a stamp (because I don't have any), then mail the payment. Feels like using the Pony Express, these days. But, you are quite right, as always it seems.....no big deal! I'll simply look at it as an outing, from now on.

I've lived all across Canada, but for the last few years have lived on a little lake 3 miles north of nowhere in rural Ontario. My neighbours are blue jays, woodpeckers, beaver and deer, plus the occasional bear. On a large-scale map, we are in the boonies, half-way between Toronto and Montreal. I've never been to The Rock, but it's about the only corner of Canada I have not been to, and it is most definitely on my "to do" list.

Have a great day, Eh!

Greenfields
Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: greenfields] #260524
07/13/2021 05:37 PM
07/13/2021 05:37 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
greenfields--obviously, there are some additional hurdles for you, with a Canadian bank. As far as no stamps and envelopes, wow, you are fully into the electronic age!!!

Carol Hill
Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: mikec] #260527
07/13/2021 06:20 PM
07/13/2021 06:20 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Hmmmm. I never considered all your obstacles being from Canada. I don’t know if it’s any longer doable, but years ago (maybe 10 to 15?) I occasionally would shop for my Newfie Aunt here in the states and she would pay me by check from her checking account at home. She would always write in the memo line “Pay in US dollars” and they did. That may well be a thing of the past and no longer viable. How about bank transfers if your bank accounts allow them for free.

End of my suggestions but your description of where you live sounds lovely and actually, very much like my limited visits to Newfoundland. Perhaps the most beautiful and natural place I’ve ever been and inhabited by some of the nicest, kindest and most pleasant people you could hope to meet. If you’ve never been you really owe it to yourself to go at least once. Which will quite possibly cause you to want to return again and again.

All of which has absolutely nothing to do with hotel accommodations in Simpson Bay, Sint Maarten so my personal apologies to mikec for diverting his thread. 🙂🙂

Respectfully,

pat

them."
Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: pat] #260528
07/13/2021 06:36 PM
07/13/2021 06:36 PM
canada
G
greenfields Offline
Traveler
greenfields  Offline
Traveler
G
canada
Hi Pat.

Advice noted, and that is what everyone who has ever visited The Rock has to say.

Also, agreed, time to un-hijack the thread, although......Come-By-Chance, Newfoundland is not all that far from Simpson Bay, if you are a really poor sailor! So, who knows?

Greenfields
Re: Hotels Simpson Bay [Re: greenfields] #260529
07/13/2021 06:43 PM
07/13/2021 06:43 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
😊😊

Respectfully,