pat 42
jazzgal 40
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
43 registered members (BillDauterive, pony600, foreversxm, Bigdaddy, tmsxmsails, RonDon, KirkB, lcote, Don_and_Linda, GeorgeC1, Kevin_B, Wahnfried, Zanshin, Matt W, Time Will Tell, camview, jagmansr, JeanneB, Fran, bkigar, YachtReprise, Bakoguy, sailingbob, SXMScubaman, PML, Manpot, anet_scot, Good Boy Gus, snman31, WWII, nevar37, Alltech63, MrEZgoin, cabokid, Whale Tail, 8 invisible), 988 guests, and 73 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trip Report, Part Two #271084
12/11/2021 11:53 AM
12/11/2021 11:53 AM
Peaceful Eastern North Carolin...
GaKaye Offline OP
Traveler
GaKaye  Offline OP
Traveler
Restaurants:

On our first trips to the island, we ate almost every night in Grand Case, but haven't been back there at night for several years now. That's one reason I was so excited to be spending a couple of nights there this trip. Unfortunately, since it took us so long to get there our first night, we only had one proper meal there.

Sunset Cafe: This is the restaurant at GCBC, and our first night we just had French onion soup and a glass of wine for dinner. I was underwhelmed by the soup; but it was comforting after a long day of travel. We had several lunches there on our beach days, enjoying many items from the menu as well as specials. Our group spent Thanksgiving there, always opting for something other than turkey when on the island. The food and service are always excellent, and you can't beat the view.

Spiga: We walked up to Spiga from GCBC and had a delightful meal. David had pasta with braised short ribs, and I had a seafood pasta. Both were delicious; their pasta is made fresh each day. The lemon ricotta cheesecake is light and the perfect ending to a heavier meal. We enjoyed a nice talk with Lara after dinner; it always amazes me how positive the island's people are after just beginning to recover from Irma, and then Covid hits.

The Palms: Always our first night dinner, this time the first night that the November Gang of Six got together, even though we'd all been on the island for a few days. Greg's drunken ribs never disappoint, and it's always a joy to see him and his lovely wife Jo. We always visit multiple times; other meals were mushroom chicken, whole snapper, Greg's spicy lasagna, goat curry, a delicious filet. I'm sure I've forgotten something, but there's nothing on the menu there that I wouldn't recommend. Greg makes everything fresh, and while I'm always too full for their homemade desserts, Jo's espresso martini is always the perfect nightcap.

Lal's: Another place we always go more than once. Chicken Tikka, Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken Frankies, Spinach Chicken, and delicious garlic naan. And of course, Lal's great company and conversation.

Astra: Just opened last December, Astra is across from Roxxy, in the former location of Snoopy's. The setting on the lagoon is beautiful. Best Old Fashioned I've had on the island, and the food is delicious. We generally just share a couple of appetizers, as the portions are huge. Here the French Onion Soup did not disappoint; best I've had ever, and we went back so I could have it again. Their lobster mac and cheese is listed as a side item, but it's a meal in itself; if you order it as a side, be sure to have at least one other person to share it with. I took my entire portion home the first night, and it made a great meal for the two of us later in the trip.

Sale e Pepe: This place gets mixed reviews, but I've never had a bad meal nor bad service there. Their lobster ravioli is delicious. We tried to go back a second time, but couldn't get a reservation, so clearly it's a popular place. Again, the location on the lagoon, right there with the big yachts, is beautiful.

Fabulous Feasts: Our friends, Brad and Lora, again hosted a catered breakfast at the villa they rented this year, Villa Falaise Des Oiseaux, Terres Basses. The chef comes into the villa and prepares the most delicious omelet, French toast, potatoes, fresh fruit, a variety of croissants, and of course, mimosas. This is always a highlight of our trip, especially for me, as David doesn't really like breakfast foods. Add the gorgeous setting, and it can't be beat!

Le Perle Bleu: We went there for breakfast one day. I ordered the lobster benedict, and was so excited when the chef got a live lobster out of the tank. Sadly, that must have been just for show, as there was very little lobster in the dish. Still tasty though, and the huge mimosa made up for the scarcity of lobster. I think the omelets might be a better choice here. The location is beautiful; on the lagoon where Panlaan and later Café by the Bay were. Sadly we were the only patrons there that morning, so I hope their business picks up or they won't last long. Maybe they're busier for lunch and dinner.

St. Maarten Yacht Club: I'd only had breakfast there in the past, but we went one night for a light dinner, and I finally tried the famous grouper fingers. It won't be the last time I have those! We also went for breakfast on departure day and I had the Eggs Norwegian, which are my favorite there. The last time I had them the eggs were overcooked, but my faith in the chef is restored as these were perfect. So nice to see the energetic Monique again; she makes the place hum!

Juliette's Bistro: The one rainy day, we got a pizza to go from Juliette's and ate it on the balcony at home. It was their Mexican pizza, and was quite good. Don't get this one if you don't like spicy!

Beach lunches:

We often have our main meal in the middle of the day at whatever beach we're frequenting, and then just have a light snack of cheese, crackers, and fruit, at home.

El Zafiro: As mentioned before, this was a one good-one bad experience. Their coconut shrimp and spring rolls were delicious on the good day. We also had an accidental cheeseburger (don't ask) on the bad day, which was quite tasty. The food there has never been the draw for us; sometimes a pretty beach on the Dutch side is appealing.

Le Temps de Cerises: I wish I could remember what we ate there, but I do remember that both meals were delicious. I'm fairly certain that mine involved seafood of some sort. Their regular menu is great, and they always have the blackboard specials.

Captain Frenchy: I do remember my meal there, as it was the first time I'd ever had octopus. It was grilled, quite tender with a nice chew, and seasoned perfectly with lots of little veggie bits. David had lobster ravioli, one huge raviolo with nice chunks of lobster.

Sunset Cafe: Mentioned in the section above. I really enjoy their Caesar salads with either shrimp or chicken. They have a nice tapas selection as well.

La Playa: We went there one day to see GP, the former bartender at Kakao, and to have some sushi. The sushi chef from Dreams is still there, and the sushi is just as good as it always was. The pizza oven that Bruno had installed before he sold the lease doesn't seem to be there; it never was working when we were there in the past.

Friars Bay Beach Cafe: Another favorite for a delicious midday meal. We went there twice; the first time I had their Salade Nicoise, which is always delicious. The tuna is perfectly prepared with just the thinnest sear on the outside and perfectly raw on the inside. The second time I had what they called Scallops with Spaghetti, which was actually linguine with scallops in a delicious cream sauce. One thing the French do very well is use butter and cream!!

Anse Marcel: This was probably one of my favorite meals of the trip; scallops and shrimp over gnocci with a decadent butter sauce.

Coco Beach: Our new favorite restaurant on Orient Beach. We went there twice and had fabulous meals both times. The have a "meal of the day" which includes an appetizer, entrée, and dessert. They also have an extensive menu and other specials each day. The first time we went I had a very unique salad that was layered with haricots verts, feta, potatoes, watermelon, grapefruit, salmon gravlax, and a delightfully light dressing. The second time I had the seafood risotto which was amazing. David had the meal of the day, and we shared the appetizer and dessert. He had triggerfish the first time, which was delicious. Also not an inexpensive day, but so worth the treat on occasion.

SXM Sponsors
Re: Trip Report, Part Two [Re: GaKaye] #271087
12/11/2021 12:14 PM
12/11/2021 12:14 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Thanks for part 2. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

J.D.
Re: Trip Report, Part Two [Re: GaKaye] #271092
12/11/2021 01:24 PM
12/11/2021 01:24 PM
Yonkers, NY
fabila Offline
Traveler
fabila  Offline
Traveler
Yonkers, NY
Georgia you made me hungry. Your description made all the food sound appetizing. We will have to give the Palms a try and get to Frairs again.

Re: Trip Report, Part Two [Re: GaKaye] #271095
12/11/2021 01:37 PM
12/11/2021 01:37 PM
Greer SC
B
bostonbob Offline
Traveler
bostonbob  Offline
Traveler
B
Greer SC
Thanks for your great report. You have given us many new ideas for dining on the island. We’ll always include a trip to Spiga though.

Lived most of my life in Massachusetts
Re: Trip Report, Part Two [Re: GaKaye] #271098
12/11/2021 03:01 PM
12/11/2021 03:01 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks for the report. Kind of surprised that someone would cater breakfast, but it sounds lovely. You might look at the menu for Reveil Matin and see if there is anything there that David would like, as their breakfast offerings are the bomb!

Carol Hill
Re: Trip Report, Part Two [Re: GaKaye] #271108
12/11/2021 07:00 PM
12/11/2021 07:00 PM
St Maarten
BillandElaine Offline
Traveler
BillandElaine  Offline
Traveler
St Maarten
You forgot the Mexican!

Elaine
God Bless the broken road....
Re: Trip Report, Part Two [Re: BillandElaine] #271116
12/11/2021 08:22 PM
12/11/2021 08:22 PM
GaKaye Offline OP
Traveler
GaKaye  Offline OP
Traveler

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
You forgot the Mexican!

I did! As well as a lunch at Bar Code....I'll do a postscript, lol.

Re: Trip Report, Part Two [Re: GaKaye] #271122
12/12/2021 07:59 AM
12/12/2021 07:59 AM
falmouth,MA
wendyk Offline
Traveler
wendyk  Offline
Traveler
falmouth,MA
Coco Beach is my favorite restaurant on the island! So enjoyed your trip reports, as always, Georgia!

Re: Trip Report, Part Two [Re: GaKaye] #271126
12/12/2021 09:15 AM
12/12/2021 09:15 AM
Rhode Island
RonDon Online content
Traveler
RonDon  Online Content
Traveler
Rhode Island
Where is Le Perle Blu? and Juliette's Bistro? Hope to add them to my next visit. I've found you and I have the same taste in places so I'd be anxious to try them.

Re: Trip Report, Part Two [Re: RonDon] #271138
12/12/2021 10:34 AM
12/12/2021 10:34 AM
GaKaye Offline OP
Traveler
GaKaye  Offline OP
Traveler
Juliette's Bistro is on Billy Folly Road, where Bon Appetit was. Le Perle Bleu is on the lagoon where Panlaan and Cafe on the Bay were.

Re: Trip Report, Part Two [Re: GaKaye] #271174
12/13/2021 06:40 AM
12/13/2021 06:40 AM
M
MotownTim Offline
Traveler
MotownTim  Offline
Traveler
M
We used to go to Coco Beach almost every day. Maybe it’s time for a return trip.

Re: Trip Report, Part Two [Re: GaKaye] #271179
12/13/2021 08:42 AM
12/13/2021 08:42 AM
Rhode Island
RonDon Online content
Traveler
RonDon  Online Content
Traveler
Rhode Island
Originally Posted by GaKaye
Juliette's Bistro is on Billy Folly Road, where Bon Appetit was. Le Perle Bleu is on the lagoon where Panlaan and Cafe on the Bay were.

Thank you.