We spent 13 wonderful nights from 6/25 through 7/6 at Club Orient on St. Martin. I won’t go into a day-by-day account as our primary intent was to spend a lot of quality beach time----and mission was accomplished! Highlights/observations follow:

ARRIVING ON SXM: On the flight down in order to upgrade to first class we flew American’s early morning flight from Miami to San Juan where we had a two-hour layover. The San Juan airport is much improved from our last experience there 10 years ago. Our connecting American flight to SXM had only 65 passengers on a big jet and we were the first big jet to arrive that afternoon. Result: we were through SXM immigration five minutes after got in the terminal—a new record not likely to be broken soon.

CLUB ORIENT: We had garden chalet #57 which, except for a refrigerator with rust on it (somewhat unavoidable in that climate) was perfect. We requested additional pillows for my wife when we checked in and they arrive promptly. We also had a minor maintenance problem that first afternoon which was also quickly attended to by the staff.

There was quite a bit of talk among guests about the greatly increased prices for CO for the next year. Some guests who come more than once a year said they would look for less expensive accommodations on Orient Beach for at least one of their trips. Others were saying that they were going to price compare with other resorts that offer c/o possibilities. It will be interesting to see if CO will meet enough market resistance to the new prices to cause them to reconsider.

THE DANCING LADY: Each afternoon the first couple of days we spent on the beach we would see a lady wearing a big hat and not much else walking up and down the beach. Actually she was dancing up and down the beach with her earphones providing music via the IPOD she held in her hand. If the music was particularly catchy (to her anyway as no one else could hear the music) every thing would be swaying. Sometimes she would get applause from beach occupants which would provoke even more swaying. We saw her not only on CO’s beach but also in front of Baywatch as well as farther down the beach toward Mont Vernon. It is nice to see people enjoy music.

RESTAURANTS: We visited a few of our favorites during this trip. Comments follow--

Baywatch: We had lunch here almost every day. Cheryl recognized us immediately---she seems to recognize almost every repeat visitor. My wife had given her an Italian charm bracelet last year and during one of our lunches Cheryl showed us how she had already filled it up. Great American food here for lunch----hot dogs, hamburgers, fish and some of Cheryl’s now husband Andy’s Italian specials. My wife loves the eggplant with Andy’s secret marinara sauce. I like the chili dogs and the meatball hero. Also a special tip to early morning Orient Beach walkers----Andy provides free cups of coffee before 7;30 a.m. I would walk the beach and then bring my wife a cup of coffee---she thinks vacations are for sleeping late. A great beach restaurant on Orient Beach! See additional comment about Baywatch under 4th of July.

Auberge Gourmand: In Grand Case as are all of the following restaurants unless otherwise stated, this place has been a favorite of ours. Unfortunately, this trip it was not quite up to snuff. I ordered filet mignon medium well and my wife ordered salmon-----and we both got our meals raw and had to send them back for more cooking---a lot more cooking. We were not the only one----the folks at the table next to us who came in after we did also got their meal raw and sent it back. The service was great and apologetic. Great desserts! Maybe the chef was just having a bad night.

Alabama: We first tried this spot last year and loved it. Nothing changed our opinion this year. Very good meal, attentive service and nice décor. Also great desserts (the most important part of any meal as far as I am concerned).

California: Also a great favorite of ours and as usual we dined here twice. Particularly good for families with young children or any one who wants a simple meal. They have a nice array of entrees and daily specials but for us the attraction is the thin crust pizzas and the great choice of crepe desserts.

Nettuno: Italian cuisine, nothing fancy but very good. I love the pasta fagioli soup here to start a meal. Main parking lot for Grand Case is directly opposite this spot and parking was free if you dined at Nettuno (and some other restaurants as well).

Papagayos: CO’s restaurant----convenient, certainly has a forgiving dress code. Service this year was actually pretty good as compared to past years. We had dinner several nights when they offered entertainment or dancing (Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays). If you keep it simple here you can have a good meal. We also had two lunches and two breakfasts here with no complaints.

Cheri’s: In the Maho shopping area of Dutch SXM. We had not dined at Cheri’s for several years but chose to go there after our shopping expedition (see below). Good comfort food, reasonably priced. Worth a stop if you are over by the airport for any purpose.

SHOPPING IN PHILLIPSBURG: We purchased last year a particularly expensive ring at Touch of Gold which my wife had been lusting after for several years---she had even taken a photo of it on a previous visit. We agreed that after that purchase this year would be just a look and inspect year. At least I thought we had agreed to look and inspect but I did not get it in writing which was a mistake on my part. We walked into Touch of Gold and immediately were met by the two salesmen who had conspired with my wife in past years about the ring. One immediately called her “the lady with the picture of the ring” and the other remembered that the ring had fit her finger “as if it was meant for you”. He took the ring from her to inspect it to make sure nothing was getting loose---for what we spent on it the diamonds better be super glued as far as I am concerned. While this was being done, the first salesman told my wife he wanted to show her some pieces that would compliment the ring “for your future consideration”. My wife fell in love with a diamond pendant and a gold chain but she agreed with me that we had decided not to buy anything this year. She then gave me that look that had caused me to fall for her in high school and all was lost as I whipped out my MasterCard. Men, heed me well! Do not go into Touch of Gold with your wife. The salesmen are very attentive (cagey?) and know how to exploit your weakness. They also have good prices and guarantees. I should have stayed on the beach.

4TH OF JULY: CO’s beach was festooned with small American flags spaced every ten feet or so---a nice way to greet the morning walkers and chair savers. However, the weather was awful. In the morning there were two heavy showers which caused the beach to be vacated both times. After the second downpour we noticed that about 30 guests had gathered at Papagayos, the ladies festooned with various patriotic stenciled body painting symbols and the men wearing various red, white, and blue hats and other adornments. Off they went at about noon to march the entire length of Orient Beach—except about 15 minutes after they left yet another downpour happened by. At this point, we decided to quit fighting the elements and went back to our chalet to freshen up and then go to the 4th of July all you could eat lunch (for $15.00 per person) at Baywatch. By the time we walked to Baywatch the downpour had turned into a cold torrential rain with really strong winds and we had swimsuits on---unlike most of the Baywatch guests who turned out to be the CO marchers. Two women were dancing up a storm on a table (they were four sheets to the wind except they had no sheets) and the flashing lights of digital cameras were blinding. They were joined at various times by other guests, Baywatch’s cook, a waiter and Andy. It was a closely packed, good-natured crowd having a good time. Several guests got behind the bar to assist Ross the bartender and Cheryl keep the drinks flowing. Between the food (I had two chili dogs, a hamburger, French fries, watermelon, corn-on-the-cob and eventually indigestion) and the impromptu entertainment, we had a great time even with the wind blowing the rain into Baywatch (who really likes a hamburger on a soggy bun?) Will have to do Baywatch again next 4th of July!

MY THREE WISHES FOR SXM:

1. A signal for the busiest intersection on the island---where the road from the airport meets the road that goes over Cole Bay hill. I’m willing to take up a collection.
2. A smooth road leading to CO---parts of me are still vibrating!
3. Some assurances that motorcyclists on SXM are not allowed to reproduce.

Hope to be there again next year!