Member Spotlight
tangerine3
tangerine3
Lutz, FL
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online Now
24 registered members (bostonbob, panman, jrw, eightzerobits, JerseyPal, Kennys, knitsoftwear, Kevin_B, ColoBoater, luvtotravel, Zanshin, Matt W, MNsnowbird, JohnW, GeorgeC1, RickinAtlanta, VirginGordaResident, MrEZgoin, 6 invisible), 530 guests, and 111 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A few logistical questions STT to VG and back #285859
07/09/2022 06:58 PM
07/09/2022 06:58 PM
North Shore, MA
G
GettinBye Offline OP
Traveler
GettinBye  Offline OP
Traveler
G
North Shore, MA
I have various groups of people coming and going for our land-based rental in VG nest jan/feb . Some of these comings and goings are on a Sunday which I didn't realize complicated things so much For groups of 4 or more I will likely arrange a water taxi My questions are :

1) How probable is it to glom on as a single traveler to someone else's private water taxi? Maybe chip in more $$ than everyone else or whatever. Do people look to reduce their costs ever for taxis? Fun, normal people. lol I have a few solo travelers (including myself on arrival as I always feel the need to buffer guests' arrival by a couple days). Is it worth posting to this site? We have groups of five arriving and would welcome "stragglers" to reduce cost but maybe that's not typical

2) I'm a big fan of Island Birds but wondering where you clear customs for that? Is the Virgin gorda customs open?

3) How long is the ferry from STT to Road town and then if you are catching another ferry- how tricky time-wise is that? I've never done it, so wondering how much a typical buffer time is. ( I realize it's all a crap shoot with island time )

4) Lastly- is there any scuttlebutt of starting the STT- VG direct ferry again? I think it was Tues and Saturday which wouldn't necessarily help me, but just curious if things will "normalize" (?) again. Ever?

My crazy micromanaging is taking over and I will try to relax but planning is key for me.

[Linked Image]
BVI Sponsors
Re: A few logistical questions STT to VG and back [Re: GettinBye] #285861
07/10/2022 03:43 AM
07/10/2022 03:43 AM
C
Cleobeach Offline
Traveler
Cleobeach  Offline
Traveler
C
We always use Island Birds between STT or SJU and VG. You clear customs at the VG airport.

If any of your party is returning home thru the STT airport, make sure they have three hours from the time they get to the airport to their flight time. STT is a fearful place and the lines can be epic. For example, last trip the PreCheck line was much longer than the regular screening line so even though we have precheck, we went thru the regular line. The screener insisted we must use the precheck, I stood my ground and he let us thru.

Re: A few logistical questions STT to VG and back [Re: GettinBye] #285868
07/10/2022 07:56 AM
07/10/2022 07:56 AM
Vero Beach, Fl and South Sound...
tpcook Offline
Traveler
tpcook  Offline
Traveler
Vero Beach, Fl and South Sound...
The ferry trip is about 1 hour, then allow 30-60 for customs and immigration. Then 20 min to VG on Speedy ferry. Youi must arrive STT aroound 1 PM to make the 2:30 ferry that gets to roadtow at 3:30 and then speedy ferry leaves at 4:30 PM

tpcook
Re: A few logistical questions STT to VG and back [Re: GettinBye] #285894
07/11/2022 08:57 AM
07/11/2022 08:57 AM
Virgin Gorda, BVI
V
VirginGordaResident Online content
Traveler
VirginGordaResident  Online Content
Traveler
V
Virgin Gorda, BVI
Originally Posted by GettinBye
I have various groups of people coming and going for our land-based rental in VG nest jan/feb . Some of these comings and goings are on a Sunday which I didn't realize complicated things so much For groups of 4 or more I will likely arrange a water taxi My questions are :

1) How probable is it to glom on as a single traveler to someone else's private water taxi? Maybe chip in more $$ than everyone else or whatever. Do people look to reduce their costs ever for taxis? Fun, normal people. lol I have a few solo travelers (including myself on arrival as I always feel the need to buffer guests' arrival by a couple days). Is it worth posting to this site? We have groups of five arriving and would welcome "stragglers" to reduce cost but maybe that's not typical

2) I'm a big fan of Island Birds but wondering where you clear customs for that? Is the Virgin gorda customs open?

3) How long is the ferry from STT to Road town and then if you are catching another ferry- how tricky time-wise is that? I've never done it, so wondering how much a typical buffer time is. ( I realize it's all a crap shoot with island time )

4) Lastly- is there any scuttlebutt of starting the STT- VG direct ferry again? I think it was Tues and Saturday which wouldn't necessarily help me, but just curious if things will "normalize" (?) again. Ever?

My crazy micromanaging is taking over and I will try to relax but planning is key for me.

1.) I would say your best bet to combine with someone else's water taxi would be to post to this site to try to find another group to combine with.

2.) You land on VG and clear customs at VG airport

3.) Ferry is ~1 hour. But it often runs 15 to 45 minutes late so I would recommend more time rather than cutting it close.

4.) No scuttlebutt that I have heard of restarting the STT to VG direct ferry. Sure would be nice though