Member Spotlight
Whale Tail
Whale Tail
Ontario Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (MNsnowbird, cacapasa, 1 invisible), 809 guests, and 70 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Part 2 Bologna and Modena #289554
10/14/2022 04:13 PM
10/14/2022 04:13 PM
Lake Norman, NC
EllenS Offline OP
Traveler
EllenS  Offline OP
Traveler
Lake Norman, NC
Onto Bologna.

We had scored a high speed train ticket to Bologna, quick and easy. It’s quite a large multi level train station and we had another 20 minute walk to our lodging over varied terrain.

The first thing you notice entering Bologna are the porticos (covered sidewalks with beautiful arches). There are miles of them. And the granite and travertine flooring of Verona has now became miles of terrazzo. It is quite stunning.

There are numerous cafes under cover where one can enjoy their aperitivo. My favorite thing during cocktail hour was to be given a small bowl of olives and potato chips with it. A couple of my faves right there!

[Linked Image]

When picking lodging, choose it in relation to the Square or Piazza Maggiore. We were here for 4 nights and chose Hotel Cavour Bologna. Well placed for anything we wanted to do. Really liked the hotel, large rooms, comfy beds and breakfast was included. We usually go the Airbnb route, but we booked this one after returning from the UK this summer during the heatwave without a/c, so we were gun-shy to pick lodging without a/c. We couldn’t make an Airbnb work for this stay.

The Piazza Maggiore is massive with streets and alleys spread out with restaurants, cafes, bars and shops. Most of this is pedestrian only. And on the weekends, the large streets surrounding the square and including the towers, become pedestrian only too. And everyone is out walking and enjoying. For most of our time we wandered the areas and neighbors off the square. Eating and drinking and window shopping. We really enjoyed the lack of other Americans in Bologna. I felt like it was very local, with on the weekend, Italians from surrounding areas coming in for a fun day with family and friends. Most people we talked to were Italian in Bologna.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pasta with Bolognese was obviously big here as well as carbonara. This is where we really started experiencing Parma ham as well as Parmesan Reggiano cheese. We knew we were bringing cheese back home. Originally we were looking for the “white cow”, but then got interested in the “red cow”. In the end brought home a kilo of each! Our overall impression of food and drink here was excellent and cheap!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We took a cooking class one evening and made our own tortellini stuffed with ricotta and a butter sage sauce. Also a pear cake. It was about 20 minutes outside of downtown and they picked us up and dropped us back off. Easy and yummy!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We climbed the tower (buy tickets in advance), 500 steps up and the view was beautiful.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We took a day trip to Modena, about 30 minutes by train. There was a fabulous market there and of course needed some balsamic. Most of the shops around town ship home. We ended up with Guisti. The tastings were fun and very informative.

Another beautiful church and more beautiful stonework. The Duomo here is slightly less ornate than others and the close up picture of the stonework around the doors is amazing. The highlights of Modena could easily be seen in a day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Overall Bologna was a favorite stop of ours and we would love to return.

Next stop the Ligurian Sea...

Sponsors
Re: Part 2 Bologna and Modena [Re: EllenS] #289774
10/20/2022 09:06 PM
10/20/2022 09:06 PM
VIRGINIA
B
BEERMAN Offline
Traveler
BEERMAN  Offline
Traveler
B
VIRGINIA
Great report and pics Ellen. I know youre planning a Cinque Terra report, but did you go to Vernazza? I just saw a pic and it they have a new sea wall, I guess the 2018 storm might have done some damage there

Re: Part 2 Bologna and Modena [Re: EllenS] #289780
10/21/2022 01:59 AM
10/21/2022 01:59 AM
Virginia wishing STJ
TomB Offline
Traveler
TomB  Offline
Traveler
Virginia wishing STJ
Do you think you will try to make your own tortellini at home. Always wanted to take a class.

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés
Re: Part 2 Bologna and Modena [Re: EllenS] #289783
10/21/2022 08:08 AM
10/21/2022 08:08 AM
Lake Norman, NC
EllenS Offline OP
Traveler
EllenS  Offline OP
Traveler
Lake Norman, NC
Hello
Yes we did Vernazza and trip report still to come. I have the pictures pulled, just need to finish it. I didn’t notice any storm damage, but I also wasn’t looking for it.

And yes I would definitely make the tortellini at home. It really wasn’t hard and I learned from my mistakes at class. Make real squares and it all folds up much easier.

We did a zoom cooking class during Covid with some ladies in Tuscany. We made gnocchi. At first it was challenging but then we got the hang of it. I have made that again too.

Making pasta at home is an event that culminates in eating!

Re: Part 2 Bologna and Modena [Re: EllenS] #289788
10/21/2022 10:36 AM
10/21/2022 10:36 AM
Virginia wishing STJ
TomB Offline
Traveler
TomB  Offline
Traveler
Virginia wishing STJ
Don't forget the wine!

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés
Re: Part 2 Bologna and Modena [Re: EllenS] #289790
10/21/2022 10:39 AM
10/21/2022 10:39 AM
Lake Norman, NC
EllenS Offline OP
Traveler
EllenS  Offline OP
Traveler
Lake Norman, NC
All cooking starts with wine!

Moderated by  Eric_Hill