Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,950
Posts342,010
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 34
RonDon 33
mahokid 32
erb923 29
kim 18
Member Spotlight
Zanshin
Zanshin
Antigua
Posts: 2,734
Joined: March 2008
Today's Birthdays
bugambilias
Who's Online Now
12 members (Montrealer2, S/Y Mockingbird, snuba, uscg1959, amsterdam360, mgh, 6 invisible), 373 guests, and 112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#331920 03/09/2025 01:14 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 193
Likes: 4
R
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 193
Likes: 4
I’ve done multiple charters in the BVI, but haven’t been back in about 7 years. Is it worth getting the updated cruising guide?

BVI Sponsors
.
Rhindley #331923 03/09/2025 01:55 PM
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 382
Likes: 2
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 382
Likes: 2
I'd say probably. A lot of things changed with Covid so businesses that were open before might not be now. It's likely that mooring information has changed somewhat as well.

Probably depends on how much pre-planning you want/need to do. There will probably be an updated one on the boat when you get there but that's last minute.

Rhindley #331932 03/09/2025 02:46 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
I would say if your guide is pre Irma then get a new one..lots has changed since 2017!

Rhindley #331940 03/09/2025 05:37 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 193
Likes: 4
R
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 193
Likes: 4
Last time I was there was there in August right before Irma. 😲

Rhindley #331957 03/09/2025 11:09 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Bingo..plus few folks get rich these days penning works like that ( ask me)..so I think it's great to support someone by buying their guide..remember when we had books?...those weird paper things they had in a place called a" Library"?

Rhindley #331972 03/10/2025 06:21 AM
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,534
Likes: 6
B
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,534
Likes: 6
the last few years Scott's guides havent had much change and you can get the previous ones used online for cheaper...will be curious to your impressions before and very much after. as we go down frequnetly and went right after Irma the changes to a new equilibrium were extended

Rhindley #331974 03/10/2025 06:44 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
In my opinion the only thing that has changed is the ads.

Rhindley #331993 03/10/2025 01:32 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 193
Likes: 4
R
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 193
Likes: 4
I ordered the new one...we'll see what's in it.

Rhindley #332070 03/11/2025 01:25 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 602
Likes: 1
G
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
G
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 602
Likes: 1
Didn't the Moorings use to give those away "free" with every booking?

ggffrr11 #332076 03/11/2025 04:00 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,303
Likes: 4
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 1,303
Likes: 4
Originally Posted by ggffrr11
Didn't the Moorings use to give those away "free" with every booking?

Not anymore. Moorings has digital downloadable pdfs for most destinations.
I brought a 2020/21 copy on a trip last month, but never even opened it 🤣
I also found an old copy of the drinking man’s guide, but all the coupons were past date!😢

1 member likes this: Aries4
jphart #332085 03/11/2025 05:54 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 460
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 460
Originally Posted by jphart
Originally Posted by ggffrr11
Didn't the Moorings use to give those away "free" with every booking?

Not anymore. Moorings has digital downloadable pdfs for most destinations.
I brought a 2020/21 copy on a trip last month, but never even opened it 🤣
I also found an old copy of the drinking man’s guide, but all the coupons were past date!😢

Wait. Are you telling me my coupons for Fat Hog Bob's, Bomba's, and The Bat Cave from my Drinking Man's Guide 2nd Ed. aren't good anymore? LOL

Rhindley #332097 03/12/2025 06:50 AM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 602
Likes: 1
G
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
G
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 602
Likes: 1
Spaghetti Junction, Rudi's "all you can eat" lobster buffet, Fat Virgin > Oh Yeah!

Rhindley #332111 03/12/2025 09:25 AM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930
Likes: 2
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930
Likes: 2
Whenever we have a new person going on our trips I'll purchase a cruising guide for them since it is a great way to learn about the islands. We've also given copies to folks who are contemplating their first BVI charter.

A bunch of years ago they added waypoints to the guide which was a very useful update.

Last edited by louismcc; 03/12/2025 09:26 AM.

Louis from Houston
louismcc #332116 03/12/2025 10:01 AM
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 382
Likes: 2
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 382
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by louismcc
A bunch of years ago they added waypoints to the guide which was a very useful update.

Agree. Once I figured out how to add the waypoints into the chart plotter, they were very helpful.

Rhindley #332125 03/12/2025 11:03 AM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 193
Likes: 4
R
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 193
Likes: 4
The new guide is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I'll compare it with the two older guides I have.

Rhindley #332227 03/14/2025 11:16 AM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 193
Likes: 4
R
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 193
Likes: 4
Got the new guide early. After a quick flip through I think it was worth buying the updated version. There's some new points of interest and some info about boaty ball which wasn't a thing last time I was there.

Rhindley #332237 03/14/2025 02:08 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
As I said..I think its nice too to support folks who do work like this.I am sure no one is getting rich from this publication but, as a published author,I know how nice it is to see folks actually buying your book!


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5