Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,951
Posts342,011
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 34
RonDon 33
mahokid 32
erb923 28
kim 18
Member Spotlight
320sycamore
320sycamore
Massachusetts
Posts: 367
Joined: March 2005
Today's Birthdays
bugambilias
Who's Online Now
8 members (SXMbeacher, MKGrey, bran, Kennys, 4 invisible), 365 guests, and 74 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 382
Likes: 2
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 382
Likes: 2
I recently became aware of the risk of getting sick from ciguatera by eating fish. A forum search shows a number of posts about this but most seem to be in the context of eating fish that you catch.

My question is, am I generally safe by only eating fish from restaurants? I know that cooking doesn't remove the risk and that it's safest to not eat reef fish but when I'm looking at a menu, I don't necessarily know which fish are reef fish and which aren't. Are the restaurants only serving non-reef fish or otherwise able to be trusted to not poison me (setting aside baseline risks of getting sick from eating anything)?

How much of an issue is this if I'm not eating fish that I catch?

BVI Sponsors
.
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 958
Likes: 9
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 958
Likes: 9
My wife, who is pretty informed on such things, will not order grouper or other reef fish in restaurants either for the risk you mentioned.


M4200 MANTA
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 4,349
Likes: 3
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 4,349
Likes: 3
My wife and I both had snapper at a well-known resort on Virgin Gorda. In the morning, we both felt unwell. Suspect it was the snapper.


tpcook
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,023
Likes: 5
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,023
Likes: 5
We don't eat fish from around Vieques of any type. We have had friends from three different boats get ciguatera round Vieques, even on passage well offshore. No barracuda from south side of St. Thomas per our Frenchie fisherman friend. We don't eat barracuda north of Guadeloupe and do not eat the baracuda we catch. We do eat snapper, grouper, blue runner/hardnose, and pelagic fish. Local fisherman are our best source of info on ciguatera.

Ciguatera nervous system symptoms are terrible, debilitating, and long lasting. It is worth avoiding.

Cheers, RickG

Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 27
R
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
R
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,917
Likes: 27
Most fish served in the BVI is imported. Which is not to say it can't be stored or prepared improperly and make you ill! It pays to be careful with locally caught fish.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5