|
Forums39
Topics41,949
Posts342,004
Members27,640
| |
Most Online5,009 Jul 27th, 2026
|
|
Posts: 209
Joined: September 2016
|
|
|
10 members (RickandJulie, geomo, indi, Shelly C, SteveH, Sunflower, 4 invisible),
350
guests, and
73
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 80 Likes: 2
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 80 Likes: 2 |
We have been waiting for the grandkids to be old enough that their parents feel comfortable taking them on a sailing charter. The kids grew up on smaller boats, cruising the Tennessee River, and day trips on every vacation, but mom and dad were hesitant to take them "sailing" until they were just a little older. The youngest is now 7, and they joined us this summer. You simply can't do everything with a first timer, so we focused on having somethinge to do every day, lots of shore time, and keeping things fun and safe. It's easy to forget just how awe inspiring the islands can be. https://maegankaybakes.com/sailing-the-british-virgin-islands-for-9-nights-itinerary-route-tips/
|
|
1 member likes this:
cbf |
|
|
.
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 845 Likes: 2
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 845 Likes: 2 |
Great write up. Thank you for sharing.
Go Irish!!
Bill
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930 Likes: 2
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 930 Likes: 2 |
Louis from Houston
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,571 Likes: 12
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,571 Likes: 12 |
Enjoyed reading this, great report! We would see a couple Bali's from Navigare on our recent trip. I'm not too familiar with Navigare, are they relatively new to the BVI?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,534 Likes: 6
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,534 Likes: 6 |
Really nice...nice to read a trip report by a non captain. Thanks for sharing
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 80 Likes: 2
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 80 Likes: 2 |
I thought it was a pretty nice, unique perspective. I don't want to think we get jaded or, even just "used to it," but reading a first timer's report was kind of refreshing and fun.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 109 Likes: 2
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 109 Likes: 2 |
It has been years since I have posted here, but I have never stopped reading this forum along with St. John and Grand Cayman forums daily.
First, bravo to your parents for organizing a family trip. And, to you, for taking the time to post a trip report. Your gratitude, your enthusiasm, and your wonderful pictures flew off the page. We have made many trips to the BVI's back before Peter Island and Briar Creek resorts were destroyed.
Midsouth, the best advice I could give you is to continue family trips. At least one a year, even if it is in the states. You will never regret it. Spend your money with them now. Your grandchildren will have wonderful memories of grandma and grandpa and the trips they had with you. I'll tell you why.
We had two daughters. They added 4 grandchildren (31 to 37 now), and the grandchildren added 4 partners. We have 2 great-grandson ages 9 and 11. So a total of 16. We started taking family trips in 1988 when our first granddaughter was born. We stayed in the states in the beginning and then started international. The grandchildren's favorite trip to this day is Costa Rica.
The trips have made us a very close family. This year we are going back to Longboat Key by Sarasota, Florida. Our lodging is in an inexpensive looking Motel 8, but it is quiet, directly on a beautiful beach, and all units have kitchens with grills by the pool.
My son-in- laws had a name for the trips "the mother-in-law trip". I planned, paid, and surprised them where and when we were going. Planning has changed in the last 10 years since I am now 85.
I made my last Caribbean solo trip last April to Grand Cayman. Except for the Barrier Reef at Rum point, the coral made me cry. We went to the islands to snorkel. The water, the beach, and the clouds always spoke to my spirit and soul. I am grateful for the memories.
|
|
1 member likes this:
marisol |
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,534 Likes: 6
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 1,534 Likes: 6 |
I thought it was a pretty nice, unique perspective. I don't want to think we get jaded or, even just "used to it," but reading a first timer's report was kind of refreshing and fun. This is spot on....
|
|
|
|
|