Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,952
Posts342,032
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 34
RonDon 30
mahokid 30
erb923 27
kim 18
Member Spotlight
Posts: 979
Joined: May 2011
Today's Birthdays
FrogtownRoadCat3
Who's Online Now
16 members (CaroleS, Manpot, Rumlover, 2tannedfannies, DavidMartha, Jimgraham, StMartinFan, RickinAtlanta, 8 invisible), 420 guests, and 114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#338557 09/08/2025 11:22 AM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Likes: 9
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Likes: 9
A video just dropped on YT for those interested. Looks pretty nice, not a major departure looks wise thankfully.


Last edited by MrEZgoin; 09/08/2025 11:30 AM.

M4200 MANTA
BVI Sponsors
.
MrEZgoin #338576 09/08/2025 01:41 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Online Crying
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Looks nice but I cant get past how all these boats have that big "wind brake" so you can get to the bow..surely it has effect sailing close wind terribly.I've wondered, if you have to have that, why not make it so it folds down when sailing.I cant imagine being in a big sea in open ocean with it like that...a few big waves over the bow and you could be in big trouble..

Manpot #338596 09/09/2025 05:57 AM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,112
Likes: 5
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,112
Likes: 5
Originally Posted by Manpot
Looks nice but I cant get past how all these boats have that big "wind brake" so you can get to the bow..surely it has effect sailing close wind terribly.I've wondered, if you have to have that, why not make it so it folds down when sailing.I cant imagine being in a big sea in open ocean with it like that...a few big waves over the bow and you could be in big trouble..
Agreed Mal. At least this one doesn't have the helm right up on the flybridge (my personal pet hate) but it is definitely more suited to trundling around the BVI than crossing oceans.

MrEZgoin #338598 09/09/2025 08:54 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Everyone stated the forward cockpit would be a disaster at sea when leopard introduced it. In reality there have need zero issues. It drains almost instantaneously if you manage to stuff the bow. The drains are huge. My wife’s one request in the new boat was an interior walk through to the bow with a forward cockpit.Really limits your choices.

Last edited by GeorgeC1; 09/09/2025 08:55 AM.
MrEZgoin #338608 09/09/2025 05:29 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Likes: 9
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Likes: 9
The front windows are 12mm perspex specifically designed to conform to ISO 12216 and there is not one report of a failure of the front window from wave impact in the thousands of catamarans Leopard has built with this feature.

The front cockpit is designed to drain in 45 seconds, exceeding ISO 12216 and ABYC standards.

I wouldn't call these the ultimate blue water boats, but they are probably more capable than the putz at the helm about 99% of the time.


M4200 MANTA
MrEZgoin #338655 09/11/2025 11:47 AM
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 189
Likes: 5
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2019
Posts: 189
Likes: 5
Looks nice - but then what new big boat doesn't? I thought it was interesting that they went back to the tripod main sheets from the traveler. Was on a 50 this summer that had the traveler explode - and let me tell you that when you have the boom swinging a foot or so above your head you get a whole new appreciation of why they call it a boom!

They announce a price yet? I really enjoyed the 50s I have crewed on, but not sure I think the increase in cost is worth what you gain from my Lagoon 42! ymmv

Keep Smiling!!!


Peter
s/y Time Will Tell (2019 Lagoon 42)
peter@syTimeWillTell.com

MrEZgoin #338660 09/11/2025 11:06 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Likes: 9
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Likes: 9
I didn't notice the german mainsheet arrangement... definitely preferable in my view. I remember wondering why the 50 didn't have it when I took one out.


M4200 MANTA
MrEZgoin #338663 09/12/2025 07:36 AM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
The earlier Leopards had travelers. The 4800 was the first boat I remember with the twin sheet arrangement. I thought I was going to hate it but grew to actually really like it. The 5000 replaced the 4800 and went back to a traveler. The problem with a traveler is they get abused badly in charter. People accidentally jibe or simply don’t know how to Jibe and break them. The new 4600 went back to twin sheets. I think it is a smart move.

MrEZgoin #338671 09/12/2025 01:52 PM
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Likes: 9
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Likes: 9
Right, our L40 had a double mainsheet so I was surprised the later introduced L50 didn't.

Especially with the sky lounge, the double mainsheet seems so much safer. Quieter at anchor too.


M4200 MANTA

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5