|
Forums39
Topics41,953
Posts342,066
Members27,640
| |
Most Online5,009 Jul 27th, 2026
|
|
Posts: 542
Joined: November 2001
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 460
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 460 |
If I catch a 7:30 am ferry on a Wednesday out of RT, do you think I could make an 11:45 am flight over at STT? I keep going back and forth on this thinking 4 hours should be enough but then I take into account Murphy's Law. I can use miles for that flight but I don't want to book that return flight if I need a later one. Any insights, personal anecdotes, jokes are welcome! 
|
|
|
.
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734 Likes: 25
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734 Likes: 25 |
Almost every time I've flown out of STT, the queues were long and slow. And there are 2 consecutive lines, one for immigration and one for baggage. Without baggage, you could skip the shorter line  So if you assume the ferry is on time, and you are at the front of the line for USVI immigration at (Charlotte Amalie or Red Hook?), and you catch a cab immediately, and the check-in at STT was done online, and you only need to join the end of the line for immigration -- then you'll have time. But if more than 1 of the above doesn't work, you'll start stressing...
Last edited by Zanshin; 04/20/2026 12:58 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514 Likes: 78
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514 Likes: 78 |
And if you fly AA they will cut you off two hours before your flight..I say a definite "no".I spend my last night on STT at The Emerald Beach Resort at the end of the runway and have a nice relaxing dinner in Frenchtown..no stress..
|
|
1 member likes this:
Aries4 |
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 460
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 460 |
And AA would have been my airline because that's where I banked a ton of miles. But what do you mean they'll cut you off at two hours prior? They just won't let you check in if you're not there by then? I always check in online and I won't have any baggage to check.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,023 Likes: 5
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,023 Likes: 5 |
AA has a 90-minute check in cutoff at STT. You cannot check bags or get a boarding pass onsite after that. We check in online and mostly do carryon only.
With carryon only, Global Entry, No agricultural exceptions (no food), TSA Pre-check, we get to our gate in less than an hour. AA starts boarding 60 minutes before departure and will leave early.
Cheers, RickG
|
|
1 member likes this:
Aries4 |
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 460
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 460 |
Yeah, that has always been my plan. I check in online, have TSA Pre-check, and only bring carry-ons. And bring a lot of tip money for a red cap there if needed. That's why I thought I could probably make it in the tight schedule.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372 Likes: 11 |
7:30 ferry would put you at the airport at 9 am if things go perfect. Call it 10 when things are not so perfect. Lines are short before 11am. You will be fine.
|
|
1 member likes this:
Aries4 |
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734 Likes: 25
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734 Likes: 25 |
Perhaps the question is easier to answer if you look at it differently. What are the consequences of getting delayed and missing the flight? Would you lose the flight and have to book a new one-way ticket at short notice, or is your airfare flexible enough to change that flight at short notice? (If you've checked in ahead of time, I believe you lose the option to rebook). Is there another flight later that day, or would you have to stay in a hotel for a night? And would you miss something important at your destination?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734 Likes: 25
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734 Likes: 25 |
@Aries - did you make it?
|
|
|
|
|