Okay, my first trip report on this forum. Usually a SXM habitué. Please excuse the format if it looks wrong as I am doing it in word first and then copying and pasting.

Won’t bore anyone with travel details. Suffice it to say that I hate traveling.

So, what is Key West? Well, first off, it is a drinking town. This means that it is not conducive to bringing children. Because one is allowed by law to walk down the street while consuming, people do so. The problems come in with the over-consumption of beverages. If a newcomer had a drink in a bar, they would have but one or two and then leave, as they would want to enjoy the sites. However, they can order a drink in any bar, along side the sidewalk even, and just keep walking. Some folks seemed a bit tipsy even in the middle of the day. No specific age groups, either. Another ‘no children’ reason is far too many tee-shirt shops selling shirts with the raunchiest sayings that I’ve ever seen or heard. These shirts are right out on the sidewalk for all to see. So, why did I go? For the history. Before I left, I researched Key West and Ernest Hemingway. I read some of his books. I learned as much as I could. As soon as one arrives, the first item to do would be to take the Conch Train Tour. The tour is fraught with historical notes as well as a way to learn one’s way around town. I didn’t realize that there was so much more history in Key West than I had researched. I was fascinated by how large the cigar manufacturing industry was in its day and met its total demise virtually overnight with the Cuban Embargo. I visited Ernest Hemingway’s house/museum. It was interesting to me but might be just another old house to someone else. You’d have to like Hemingway to appreciate the tour. I also visited Capt Tony’s Saloon and Sloppy Joe’s restaurant, two hangouts of Hemingway. In my research, I learned that the Sloppy Joe sandwiches that we all ate as kids, originated at Sloppy Joes in Key West. I know, useless trivia. Of course I had to have one, along with a local drink called a rum runner. I wasn’t very excited about either item. Supposedly Mallory Square, where the cruise ships dock, is the place to be for a sunset celebration. It was a bit too crowded for me, but there are many street performers and entertainers, and I would recommend the trip. There are chickens and roosters everywhere. Yes, streets and sidewalks and restaurants. They also don’t know that they are supposed to wait until daylight to crow. Don’t try to kick one out of your way, they are protected by law. As well as fowl, sometimes canines are welcome in eating establishments. I visited Mel Fisher’s Maritime Museum. He was a treasure hunter who brought up gold and coins from sunken Spanish galleons. That was enjoyable and historic. Art galleries abound and I enjoyed one called the Wyland gallery. Wyland specializes in underseascapes. He dives to get a better idea of his subjects, whales, sharks, turtles, etc. He paints ocean murals around the world. I didn’t rent a car as I found out ahead that I’d be able to walk to everything. Such was so. Key West is a great walking town. I don’t imagine that there could be a bad restaurant on the island. They couldn’t stay in business if they were. Just to name a couple that I visited. The Half Shell Raw Bar. ½ doz. raw clams, ½ doz. raw oysters, fried oyster sandwich on Cuban bread, couple of Heinies. Turtle Kraals restaurant ½ doz., raw oysters, broiled seafood plate which had shrimp, Mahi Mahi, scallops, rice and beans, couple of Heinies. Old Town Mexican—delicious crab cakes with a caper dressing, a house special called Vera Cruz which had broiled shrimp, calamari, scallops, Mahi Mahi, in a tasty tomato based sauce with spices, olives, and other tasty items; a glass of homemade sangria. A must for those who need a Latino flair is El Meson de Pepe. Here is where I got to practice my ineffective Spanish. My waiter didn’t mind at all, he even tried to encourage me. I had heard about a drink called a Mojito. I had to try one, and was not disappointed. The black bean soup was flavorful with onions and parsley. My entrée was a combination of three of the most popular Cuban dishes. There were two beef and one pork item. It was served with rice and beans, plantains and yucca. Of course I could not pass up the Flan for dessert. Not at all like the phony Americanized Flan in Mexican restaurants around here. My meal was rounded out with a rich Cuban coffee. During my whole meal at El Meson I could hear a Cuban band. When I finished eating, I followed the sound to where many Latinos were dancing. These folks were having FUN! I enjoyed watching and listening. All told, I enjoyed my trip to Key West but would not make it a habit like SXM. A word or two about my accommodations. I stayed at Marrero’s Guest Mansion. It was spoken of quite highly on this board and I gave it a shot. The owner makes the guests feel right at home. There is a clothing-optional pool area with an honor bar for convenience. There is a happy hour every day at five thirty, to mix and mingle. There is a continental breakfast served everyday. I would certainly recommend Marrero’s to everyone. Well, sorry for such a convoluted report. I do hope that it gives some the idea that Key West can be a fun and educational trip. As I write this, there are six inches of snow in my driveway waiting to be cleaned. Oh, well. Next year, SXM again.

Be well, all.

Wayne <><