Just back from my solo five-day adventure in Puerto Rico. I had a super time and met with nothing but kindness from the local people. I got lost so many times when I was driving, I needed all the help I could get. I had a great map that I found on line but there was still a lot of guesswork involved.

Day one – arrived at SJU and picked up the car. Drove out of the city and headed towards Arecibo with the intent of crossing the mountains. Missed the road and ended up at the Cavernas de Rio Camuy. Not on the original agenda, but what the heck, I was there. It’s very interesting and I spent most of the day there. Late in the day by the time I left, so with the help of a vacationing Puerto Rican family I planned an easier route to my first night’s destination, which was Joyuda near Cabo Rojo. Spent a lovely evening at the Joyuda Beach Hotel, right on the water. I saw my first ever, green flash as the sun went down. I was so excited!

Day two - I drove down to the Cape and then on towards Ponce with the intent to head up into the mountains. Guess what – missed the turning again and ended up getting to see more of Ponce than I had planned. Finally found the road and then followed the Ruta Panoramica for a couple of hours through the mountains. Windy roads, but well worth it for the views. Beautiful!

Headed east then on the new toll road to Fajardo where I spent the next two nights at the Fajardo Inn. Gorgeous hotel! Not on the water or anything, but the hotel is like a mini resort with the most fantastic new pool area, which I had practically to myself! Two restaurants, comfy beds with cotton sheets, and a view out to Culebra (or maybe it was Vieques, I’m not quite sure!)

Day three – I went into El Yunque and did the La Mina Falls trail. Very pretty, fairly steep, and absolutely chocka with people at the waterfall! I couldn’t have got in the water even if I’d wanted to, as there was no room! Still, well worth the hike. The forest is incredibly lush with leafy trees and moss and hanging vines.

That evening I did the Bio Bay Tour with Las Tortugas Adventures. We kayaked through a channel lined with mangroves and out into the bay. As it started to go dark the show began. Twinkly water! It was so cool. Then on the way back through the channel it was so dark that I could hardly see the trees but the phosphorescence was unbelievable! I was splashing the water with my paddle and couldn’t help going “wheeeee” every time the water lit up. You can even let it run down you arms and see it on your skin. Something shot under my kayak at one point. I think it was an iguana. I could hear them in the mangroves. Amazing! Only disappointment was not getting to swim in it. Unfortunately, I hit on a cruise ship night, and there were some very interesting kayaking techniques on display. I think the guide thought it was too risky to let anyone out of the relative safety of the kayaks!

Day three – drove back to San Juan to drop off the car at the airport. I stopped off to check out Luquillo Beach, which I was told is the best beach on the island. It was not at it’s best as it was a little cloudy, but still it couldn’t hold a torch to any of the beaches I’m used to in the BVI’s. After I’d dropped off the car I got a cab to the Hotel Milano. Comfortable, lots of character, and very nicely located in the middle of Old San Juan. Unfortunately the restaurant was closed – always is on Wednesday apparently – and the view from the room was probably the worst one I’ve ever had from a hotel window. Very unattractive back yards and backs of other buildings, but no big deal, I didn’t spend much time in the room anyway. Some little bugs running about in the bathroom too, which I could have lived with out. Little bugs tend to have big mommies and daddies, but fortunately I didn’t meet them!

Had dinner that night with friends from Tortola, who were on the island. We ate a lovely Italian restaurant in the Condado area – I think it was in the Diamond Hotel? and then did a little gambling. Only lost $4 so no tears!

Day five – continental breakfast in the rooftop restaurant at the Milano (included in room price) then a taxi to the airport and on home.

I would like to thank all of you who helped me with my plans for this trip. Your information was invaluable. I will go back sometime and do the things that I didn’t have time for this trip ie visits to Vieques and Culebra, and the observatory at Arecibo.

Linda