Don't know where to start. We have not been to the island since 12/05. Had to cancel twice due to family illnesses. Had to also cancel air and hotel. First a giant thank you to Sandy Molloy. She was wonderful when we had to cancel, but even more wonderful when making our reservations at the Alamanda. First time ever staying there, and loved it beyond any words can express. The staff was wonderful, our room was perfect, and service exceptional. I also want to thank Sharon for our phone. Picked it up from Doris and it worked perfectly on the French side, even in our room. Being a doubting person from Boston, when we returned it to the Royal Palm at 4:30 am. I asked the woman behind the desk to pl sign that she had rec'd our phone. She looked at me like I was a crazed lady. She said she does it all the time. I knew that!!! Then last, I have to thank Triple A for a wonderful Suzuki. Yes, we always ask for a larger car, and service could not be any better. When we returned the car, Alain was waiting for us at 5:00 am. in the pouring rain. We had driven by him and he honked. I told my husband, never stop for anyone or anything, so we just ignored it. Well we had a good laugh, when we finally realized it was him!!! All 3 sponsors that we used, just were a perfect match.

Weather was just magnificent. Rained when we were dropping off the car, but stopped the minute we entered the airport. We had no lines anywhere at that hour, getting on a 7:00 am flight to PR. Forgot how long the walk is in San Juan. Of course they had no Declaration cards when we were going over, so I figured it would be a mad dash. Not so, lots of people but everything was very smooth. I know we have all had our problem with different airlines, but this time, AA was on time and even a few minutes early arriving at home!

We flew down Boston to San Juan. Pulling out of the gate at 6:30 in Row 1A does not get any better then that on a Monday morning, except when the Captain says we are heading back to the gate. Panic set it. We had a connecting flight in San Juan. Captain said just a little problem with condensation on the wings, and we will be off in a few minutes. Of course that turned into 1 hr, with people all getting nervous about the various connections. We got into San Juan with plenty of time, that we still had to sit and wait for boarding.

Never been to the new airport and loved it. We were the only plane that came in, so no problems at all getting the luggage. Ladies waiting for us to pick up the car and off we went. First time staying at Alamanda and definitely will not be the last. Not one complaint, not even the Euro bothered us at breakfast, because the ambiance around the pool and the wonderful help just brought smiles to us every morning. One morning there was no school, and one of the help brought her two darling little girls, all dressed up.

After unpacking we walked over to Tap 5 for a little pizza. Then we went into Grand Case and were so tired from getting up early we just ventured over to Calmos Cafe, to put our feet in the sand. What a great couple of appetizers of goat cheese salad and an order of small meatballs. Yes, we were finally in SXM!

Every day was the same for us. Under the umbrella all day and thinking of what to eat for lunch and where to go for dinner. It was just what we both needed. We had bought some wonderful cheese and meats from Le Bounty and had munchies in our room a couple of days. We had burgers at Bikini Beach, and ate at our bar for lunch a couple of days. Many days there were no ships in and it was as peaceful as anyone could ask for, and yes, I slept many afternoons under the umbrella. Read many books and just stared at the ocean for hrs and hrs!

One morning we at Safari Grill. It was great! Most mornings we stayed at Alamanda.
One morning we ate breakfast at the Kangaroo Court. We then shopped in Phillipsburg for David Yurman jewelry and Coach Purse. No traffic going, but the parking was worse than in Boston! We were there before 9:00 and got a spot in the parking lot near the bank. When we left a couple of hrs later, there was a line to get into the lot. We also shopped in Marigot and Lipstick was giving 1 to 1 on anything in their store. Stocked up on perfume, cosmetics, etc. Everyone was so nice and warm. Never had a problem with anyone we dealt with. All talking about the Euro and how it has hurt many shop owners.

The restaurants we dined at were: L'Escapade (gave us discount if we pd in traveler checks because we always go there, they were not doing l to l), Spigas for our 20th anniversary where Lara had written out Happy Anniversary on our desert plate! (they were doing 1 to 1), Sol E Luna where our hearts just always melt. Love the family and the food! The decor is so beautiful, that at times I just wanted to cry, because of the beauty. One night we ate in the square because they had a frenchman singing and the local children are a delight to watch. We also dined at Il Nettuna, Le Pressoir and the Fish Pot.

One night going out we saw a young man hitching before we were even out of Orient Village. He was Nicholas that works at Alamanda. He lives in Sandy Ground and we took him all the way home. What a delight to be able to talk to him the whole way. Very sad where he lives, but he was one happy young man that filled us in on his whole family! He even gave us a MaDou Beautiful bottle when he found out we were spending our anniversary at his hotel!

We also stopped for our first time at Rancho del Sol. What a beautiful view and great young people working there. Have passed it so many times, but now it will always be on our list to stop there.

We never felt uncomfortable except driving back to the airport when we were the only ones on the road at 4:15 am. Nothing happened, just made me a little nervous.

We are very lucky that we do have reservations for air on 12/2. The only down side is, my husband had both his knees replaced almost a year and half ago, and they are really killing him. We have not booked back with Sandy, until he sees another surgeon in a couple of wks. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

This was one of the most relaxing vacations we have both ever had and loved it more than ever.
We were really glad we finally were able to go back!!! It was one spectacular time for us both!