Why would anyone go to Maine and stay on the beach in October? Well, the foliage was at peak, the prices were at their lowest, and Saco Bay is beautiful regardless of the season. The goal was a relaxing week, with lobster on the side. Our expectations were exceeded.

The one mistake was saving $300 on airfare by having a layover at JFK. That two hours each way could more easily have been spent relaxing in Maine! Jet Blue was excellent to fly with the exception of the lay over. Portland airport is a breeze, and the bags were quickly delivered to the carousel, and we walked to the National Counter. I must have chosen wisely as all other vendors had no or minimal lines, but there were six ahead of me at National. Got the car, set up the portable GPS, and was off to Old Orchard Beach which was but 25 minutes and a world away.

I did a good deal of research, and ended up choosing the Kebek 3 Motel. This was on a combination of excellent reviews, price, nearness to the pier (and food), as well as view from the room. Having arrived on Columbus Day weekend, the Motel was full, and (I had worked this out with the Motel earlier). We got a side room for the weekend. On Monday, we repacked our bags, and the Motel staff moved us to the end room with the most spectacular view. All the rooms had kitchenettes, and a small refrigerator. They were very clean, and while far from “deluxe” were very comfortable. I cannot speak more highly of the staff, as they were very accommodating. They had excellent advise on where to eat, and what to see and do.

Upon arrival and settling in, we headed down to the beach, and strolled across the hard sand left by low tide. That evening we walked down to the pier area, and ate lobster and steamers at the Bell Buoy Restaurant. We waddled back to our motel!

Sunday, we drove to the Len Libby chocolate store. There we beheld “Lenny the Moose”. Lenny is made from 1700 pounds of milk chocolate. He is now joined by a Mamma bear, and two cubs made of dark chocolate. Is this a hooky tourist stop? Sure, but it is worth it. The candies there are excellent by the way.

We then drove to Cabelas, and wandered around looking at the hunting, fishing and camping supplies. Quite the store, and naturally my picture was taken next to the moose statue outside.

We drove back to the motel, then headed down by the pier again. Since it was the end of the season, with most of the stores closing Monday, everything was on sale. It was a great chance to pick up those Maine souvenirs at bargain prices. We also had fried clams at an outdoor stand.

That night we drove quite a distance to a restaurant that had been recommended, but there was an hour wait, so we headed back. On the way we spotted a Thai restaurant (Bau Thai), and were glad we did. It was excellent. I’m used to sate being small strips of chicken, but these were enormous.

Monday, we drove to Cornish to see the foliage along the way. It was a beautiful drive. Once there we did a bit of shopping in a small gift shop. The owner recommended a small drive to an overlook, which we took and it was beautiful. He also let us know how close to New Hampshire we were, so we drove into the Granite State, and up to Conway. This put us in the foot hills of the White Mountains. The fall foliage was magnificent. From Conway, we drove east back into Maine, stopping at Bridgton at Rickys Dinner for a late lunch. Rickys is a 1950’s style dinner and it was like stepping back into my childhood. The food was great as well. From there we drove south along the western shore of Sabago Lake back to Old Orchard Beach.

The next day, we headed for Freeport and LL Beans. If you’ve never been there, it is an experience. The area around LL Beans is filled with outlets so your shopping tooth can be satisfied. We skipped the outlets and headed NorthEast to Gray, Maine, and the Maine Wildlife Park. This is where injured animals are cared for. The big attraction is of course that they normally have at least one Moose on exhibit, and they did this time. While we passed many of a Moose Crossing, we figured this was our best chance of actually seeing one.

From Gray, we headed to Casco, Maine, and Blacksmith’s winery. Most of their grape juice comes from elsewhere as it is too cold to grow locally. They do make some nice wine however. I really liked the Vidal Blanc and bought a case and had it shipped.

That night, it was back to the Bell Buoy and another lobster.

Wednesday dawned beautiful, and we were off to Bath, Maine. It was my time for some “fun”. I spent a fun filled hour in the Sagadahoc History & Genealogy Room of the Patton Library. I actually discovered a few details that may well help me sort out some of my ancestors. While waiting for the room to open, we ate at a pier side restaurant, and wandered through some of the quaint shops.

That evening, we drove out to one of the few operational fishing villages in the south of Maine. We ate at the Wormwood Restaurant, and quite frankly it was a bust.

Thursday, I awoke to rain, and a stormy sea. Putsed around in some of the local stores and sites, but basically rested most of the day, with the requisite lobster that evening.

Friday, alas, it was off to the Portland Airport and a return to home.

Irie,
Reggae Rob