On Tuesday it looked like rain so we went to the Blue Mall. Well, first we got lost and ended up in Marigot lol. Then stopped at a Subway for directions and found a fellow American getting a sub who said he'd lead us there. Turns out I was almost there the first time when I second guessed myself and turned around then got really lost. Hah! I don't normally do that. I am really enjoying the driving here. It's fun! Semi-organized chaos.

The mall was a bust, very few stores although there was one accessory store with $7 hats and jewelry and the Adidas store was 50% off if you need shoes.

Coming back I wanted to drive by Maho beach to see if Sunset Bar was open. It is. Passing by Driftwood on the other end a car backed out of the last parking space before the beach (or lack thereof as it has eroded back to the rocks) SCORE!! We sat in the car waiting for planes to land and had a guavaberry daiquiri. My mother screamed at the first plane. I got a couple of good pictures while it sprinkled rain off and on. There were still a few silly souls clambering down the rocks into the surf. By the time we saw 3 planes land traffic had backed up going past Sunset so we went back the other way towards the Atrium.

We stopped at Captain D's by the side of the road before you get to Billy Folly Road. We basically got the tail end of everything and it was all cold but remarkably good cold. None of us bothered to heat anything up. All dry rub ribs, dark meat chicken, jerk lamb!! Rice and peas, Johnny cake, Bami noodles (never had this before--to die for! Spicy and great cold, like a pasta salad) and the lady threw in a bit of Mac n Cheese. Either my husband gave her too much money to begin with or she decided since we were getting the last of everything not to charge us much as I thought she gave us $10 more change than I would have figured. Whatever, it was quite reasonable and we will be going back. I want more of those noodles and the lamb! In fact there was a young couple ahead of us who said they were getting the lamb every day.

After an afternoon nap we walked to the Megaplex 7 on Welfare Road. I don't know if this is all year or just during slow season but all movies are $4.75 on Tuesdays. We took a back alley road since it was daylight and I remarked to my husband that after the movie it would be dark so we should come back along Welfare Road. He didn't understand why. Well, when we were almost to the theater 3 young men were walking by us. The first said "hello," the second one lunged at me with a Tarzan like yodel that startled the heck out of me while the third laughed. After they passed he agreed that would be prudent, as I explained that we read in the Charleston paper all the time about tourists getting robbed walking around late at night downtown in the dark. It can happen anywhere.

We were the only people in the movie we saw. The theater seats are pretty much all on one level but comfortable. I would say if it was crowded the people sitting in front would be blocking my view so I was glad it was empty.

Since before we arrived I have been wanting to go to the Carousel for gelato but both my mother and husband were not interested. Since we were walking right by it after the movie we went in. The pickings were pretty sparse and there was quite a number of people in there. A double scoop was a mere $3! I chose cantaloupe and tamarind. They complemented each other perfectly. Then I found out that the owners were closing for vacation and this was the last night! Nooooo! My husband can thank his lucky stars I at least got to try it once!

This was the one place my daughter was really looking forward to next week. I wonder if there is another gelato place so reasonably priced?

Back at the Atrium we found the front gate locked, as were all the perimeter doors. We walked around the entire building and by the time we returned to the front the security guy was there waiting on us. He said he spoke through the intercom but we did not hear him and we didn't see the key card pad as it was to the side. In some things I am pretty darn smart and in others I'm not the brightest bulb...he just rolled his eyes at that explanation, lol.

Tomorrow the plan is to go to the Market in Marigot with my mother. My daughter has been chastising me over the phone that I am not lolling on the beach but I would feel extremely guilty leaving my mother alone all day and she has had terrible skin cancer in the past that almost killed her so she won't go to the beach. Anyway, if anyone reads and responds before we go in the morning are there any specific local vendors we should look for? And does anyone know where I can buy some Rum Jumbie?