Cruise ship schedule aside (it doesn't really matter how many ships were in port in June), I don't see any real 'fear mongering' going on in this post. People are just reporting things as they know them, and I for one, would rather know of these things, than not. The truth of the matter is that crime is increasing on the island; tourists are being attacked and robbed (sometimes in broad daylight); and the police are doing little about it (at least on the Dutch side). Even when one does wish to file a police report, as Walt said, they have to jump through hoops to get it done. The police couldn't even say from where they recovered Walt's wallet. Really? As I posted, there were 3 incidents that I personally knew about while we were on island this month. One happened to friends we had made while there this trip. We ourselves noticed many more young guys hanging out in parking lots. This is not fear mongering -- it's making people aware of situations. These crimes have been happening more and more in busy areas, and earlier in the day/evening. Some people, it seems, like to put their head in the sand when it comes to our favorite island, but I'd rather be aware of what's going on than not. We travel a great deal to foreign countries, but this last trip was the first time that I felt truly uncomfortable because of what we saw personally. Walt did the same things most of us do on every trip, nothing more, and still became a victim. Same thing with our friends. This 'crime is everywhere' mentality doesn't hold up when the police and government do little or nothing. We have crime here in the US too, yes, but I don't walk around looking over my shoulder in most vacation places I travel to. We will take a 'wait and see' attitude for now, but the time will come when each of us has to make an informed decision about whether or not SXM continues to be a vacation destination where we feel comfortable enough to spend our hard earned dollars. We love the island and all it offers, so we are hoping things will clean up some.

Robin & Ed

One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things. - Henry Miller