Some airlines may run form the regional segments, while others (see Cape Air) base their whole business on them.

It seems based on your arguments that the wealthy who are too important to risk their lives on small places are really the only ones that need direct service. Anyone else who has the money can simply fly to San Juan and pay the price for the regional flight. Or fly to St. Thomas and pay the price for a water taxi.

Because if direct flights would only come from Miami or places near there, its still two legs for most. So maybe I'm just a fool, but I don't see how that benefits most people.

Seems to me to charter boat business does well in the seasons it should do well. How do the hotels do? How many more people can they take? What aren't the coming today? Have these questions really been asked?

I think the answer is simple - many people are simply unaware of the BVI. I knew about St. Thomas - honeymooned there. Didn't know a thing about the BVI at that time. It wasn't until 8-9 years later that we went to St. John with friends that we found out more about the BVI.

Maybe if the BVI spent a portion of the airport money on advertising, they'd attract more people. Or as has been mentioned plenty, on a better ferry service. St John seems to do well with Ferry service only..

Matt