Thanks again for the advice. Yes, Local Sailor, those are all things I am thinking about and are generally checks in the "am I crazy?" category. I know full well some of the ideas that these kids think up and how cavalier and/or secretive they can be about their plans. What might be a practical joke or prank in their eyes is sometimes a reckless act of immaturity in reality. Mildly dangerous on land, but potentially life threatening on a boat. Also, it is scary how invincible they think they are and disappointing at how narcissistic they can be at times. Before putting this plan into motion I would have to have a sit down with the kids and parents and make it clear what is expected of them. I'd also let them know that my last resort would be to end the trip early if I feel their behavior is threatening the safety of them or anyone else - or if they can't maintain a basic level of respect for me and others. Maybe I could sail to St. Thomas and put the offending character(s) on a plane home so that it wouldn't ruin the trip for the rest of the crew. Not sure, but there would have to be some sort of contingency plan. Good point about me having to be their mother for a week. That is one perspective I didn't really think about too much, and I know they all rely on their mothers quite a bit for the bulk of their needs. Maybe it will be good for them to have to tough it out for a week without the indulgences that they receive at home.

That said, giving them the the opportunity to experience sailing in the BVIs and letting them see a life from a different perspective without constant electronics and social media is a pretty powerful argument in the "screw it, let's go" category. If there is one thing I hate it is complacency and I think getting them away from the comfort of their home could be enlightening. It seems that at this age they think that they know everything, when in reality what they know is based mostly on media and their peer group. It would be very satisfying to give them just a glimpse of what else is out there. I really think they'd be able to get it together for the most part and be a functioning part of the crew. Keeping them busy sailing the boat and with shore based activities might keep them from getting too preoccupied and engaged in non-constructive behavior. It's a gamble and it could be a miserable week for me, but it also could be a very rewarding week for both them and myself.

Matt