to each their own...but still think it's strange that someone on vacation brings in their own food....especially with the price of checked baggage. years ago...maybe..now...a waste of money. I don't think we ever have not found something we have been looking for down there. I HATE grocery shopping with a passion, and i bet i don't go into a grocery store at home more than 4 maybe five times a year!!! Down in SXM...i usually go with my wife...and love seeing the different varieties of stuff they have. SXM is NOT a third world country....and unless there is an item or two that one needs to get and can't live without, bring it in with you...but part of experiencing the island is shopping where the locals do!!! Prices on some stuff may be a bit higher...and many lower. Every year we pick out a couple of items that we aren't quite sure what they are....and enjoy em!! We usually shop at Grand Marche...which does have a huge selection of cold cuts and cheeses. Also, plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits....although experiencing stopping off at the roadside fruit stands always is fun! It's vacation.....it's a different land....enjoy the experience.