Looking for advice on a possible family charter in the Grenadines next April. We have chartered many times in the Virgin Islands (including SVIs) and this past June we did a charter in the Leewards from Antigua to St. Martin. If we do this trip I think we would likely charter out of Grenada and do a 8-9 day loop through the Grenadines, or possibly a one-way from St. Vincent to Grenada. The Grenadines look amazing but I do have a few concerns.

First, I've read (CSSN and Noonsite) that there are some potential security and safety issues for sailors down there including robberies on boats while the crew is sleeping and even a few assaults. If it was me and a bunch of my guy friends I wouldn't worry too much. However, I don't want to put my wife and three kids in harms way. I would be especially worried about sleeping with the hatches open at night (usually we charter boats with A/C but I was thinking of trying out a Catana 42 which wouldn't have A/C on it). I understand that no one can say with any certainty that there is nothing to worry about, but should I be concerned enough to consider not chartering there with my family right now?

Second, will my kids (15, 10 and 9) like the Grenadines? They did enjoy the Leewards - particularly Barbuda and St. Barths - and of course they always like the beaches and other diversions of the BVIs. Just want to make sure there is an adequate mix of activities for both the adults and kids. We generally like a mix of low key beaches as well slightly more lively settings with dining options and other activities.

Third, what will the sailing be like in April? Seems that the trip from Grenada to the Grenadines could be pretty much nose into the wind. Not that we can't handle it and we do enjoy the exhilaration of sailing, but at the same time we don't want to spend half of our trip hiding behind the saloon while we grind straight into 25 knots with 8'+ swells (though 25 knots with 4-6' swells wouldn't be so bad).

Finally, how crowded would the anchorages be compared to the BVIs that time of year? Any difficulties finding room to anchor or an open mooring ball? We're not looking for desolation and we do like other families and people around us, we just don't want every day to be a race to the anchorage like we often find in the BVIs.

Thanks for any answers to the above and any other input/advice that anyone can offer.

Matt

*Mods - if this would better fit in the BVI/Bareboating section please feel free to move it.