Our first trip was in the late 80's. I remember Mullet before it was destroyed. We stayed at Pelican right on the beach in F building. The airport was basically a metal shed and the car rental booths were outside and it became a fun negotiation to see who would rent the lowest. No need for reservations before you came as cars and traffic was not an issue. Everyone honked at each other and would stop traffic to talk to someone going the other way and you didn't care. Orient was basically 3-4 stalls of pareos, and trinkets. Nothing like today. Cheris and Maho area was the happening place. Went to Zacharys BBQ that was over the hill by cruise ship dock. Went to Marigot or to P'burg for dinner alot as not that much in Simpson Bay. Snorkelled at Creole Rock. Went to the fort by Divi, and straw market in Marigot. Took a day trip to St Barts. You could park on Frontstreet and never had a problem finding a spot...There were fewer things to do but it was a great trip as we have been returning ever since! So I just rambled on, sorry...what I did do was fall in love with an island and its people and made great friends. It's what keeps my family coming back.