What a fabulous post and I have really enjoyed reading everyone's memories.

I landed on St. Maarten in the late eighties after being tendered in from one of the Princess ships. I was young, traveling alone and trying to repair my broken heart over a long relationship that had come to an end.

I didn't travel far from Phillipsburg because I was too scared to do it alone but I had a blast. I walked up and down Front street then got a French takeout lunch (complete with a bottle of wine) to take to the beach. The dogs (you're right - they were everywhere!) and I dined royally on a baguette, pate, cheese, little French sandwiches and pastries. I never forgot St. Maarten ... there was something about the island that had me intrigued.

Fast forward ten years later and my wonderful husband (finally found the perfect guy!) and I needed a break. I remembered the charming Dutch/French island I had travlled to so many years before and we booked a vacation. Armed with a rental car and a map we went outside of Phillipsburg and never looked back. It was one jaw dropping adventure after another. I'll never forget the moment we discovered Maho beach and saw the first 747 land or the first time I laid eyes on Mullet. As we drove along it got even better with Baie Longue and Baie Rouge and Friars. When we rounded the bend and took in the beauty of Orient we were hooked. For the last ten years we have travelled to many other islands but always found ourselves on a beach somewhere talking about St. Maarten. We even took a cruise to the other islands to make sure we had seen all the Caribbean had to offer. Nope - it was St. Maarten that held our heart. I'll never forget the flight after the cruise docking in San Juan to SXM, landing and then heading to Maho for a Caribe. Once again, back on "our" island I'm embarassed to say I burst into tears. "What's wrong?!!!!!" my shocked hubby said looking at the mess in front of him. "Nothing," I said. "I'm just back HOME and so incredibly happy!"

When a place moves you to "Happy" tears...then you know that it is pretty special.