Pat, I totally agree with everything you have stated in this post. In fact today I spoke with some November SXM friends and said exactly the same things. I had just got to the point in deciding to try my first island vacation alone and was looking forward to booking my November trip. I waited to see what Irma delivered and of course now I will not be doing that. The island will not be prepared to recieve visitors for a long time and in no way will we be an asset to them. Supporting them financially from a distance is definitely the best choice!

We also visited St. Maarten after Hurricane Luis returning in April 1996 and the island was still in major disrepair. Even the beaches still had glass and construction items in the water and we were advised to wear water shoes. Many restaurants and businesses were still closed and people were trying to get their lives back to some type of normalcy. Some boats were still overturned on dry land. As frequent visitors and SXM lovers, we need to respect what is happening there now and continue our support when the island is once again ready to receive us.

My thoughts and prayers continue for all the wonderful island people. I sincerely hope that the looters and criminally inclined will not tarnish the honest and hard working members of society. With the determination and positive attitude of The island people, St. MAARTEN/ST. MARTIN will rise and flourish once again!