Pork butt or pork shoulder here. I whack up an onion coarsely, lay it on the bottom of the crock pot. I dry rub the meat with whatever I've got ( sometimes just seasoned salt, lots of fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder) lay that on top of the onion, and top it off with " a beer in the pot", and generally NOT the Sam Adam's Oktoberfest. Nor the PumpkinHead Ale. If there is an apple in the fridge, that gets peeled and chopped into the pot, too. Cover and let it cook on low for as long as it takes.

When the meat is done, I remove it from the pot and strain the remainders, save the solids and maybe a small amount of the " drippings", trying to dump most of the fat.

Shred the meat when you can handle it ( still warm but don't hurt yourself), dump the meat and the solids back into the crockpot, and then add the BBQ sauce of choice. I really like Charley Biggs Maine Apple BBQ. Reheat the the whole deal to serving temp, using the retained drippings as necessary for the consistency desired.

Bulky rolls/kaiser rolls/ Italian Bread/ Baguette- hobson's choice. Sometimes the bread part is homemade cornbread.

Cole Slaw, baked beans, some Franks Hot Sauce or other optional heat adjustment , and usually some unsweetened applesauce just to assuage the " healthy eats" demon.

One key to me IS the cut of meat, you won't get a good shred or the best robust flavor from the leaner cuts used for oven roasts. Emeril is right-- pork fat rules.

Dress it up, dress it down, it's always good eats, good friends to share with just makes it better.

Breeze