Originally Posted by BaardJ
If you have the time to wait for a ride, then hitchhiking via boat might work. If you want to reliably get to several islands then I would rely on the ferries (and have pre-arranged accommodations waiting since there are limited rooms currently, unless you plan to pitch a tent). See BestofBVI.com for latest post-Irma schedules. It appears that for ~$150 in ferry fare you could do the following example tour of 5 BVI islands

1) Tortola (Roadtown or Trellis Bay) to Virgin Gorda (Spanishtown) - Daily departures
2) Drive/hitch/taxi to Gun Creek, Virgin Gorda then roundtrip ferry to Oil Nut Bay resort - daily
3) Virgin Gorda (Spanishtown) to Anegada - M/W/F
4) Anegada to Tortola (Roadtown) - M/W/F
5) Tortola (Roadtown) roundtrip to Norman Island (Pirates Bight reataurant) - Not sure if this is back up and running daily departures
6) Tortola (West End) roundtrip to Jost Van Dyke (Great Harbour) - daily

In a few months, you may also be able to ferry from Trellis Bay to Scrub Island, and from Roadtown to Cooper Island.

BTW it won't be a problem being 6'3" on the majority of today's charter boats, especially if you are just looking for transport to the outer islands. They're all within 1~4 hour sail from Tortola depending on conditions.

Thanks for such a detailed and thoughtful response! I will definitely take those suggestions into consideration. My intent would be to hang around a bit on each island and hope for a ride. I would also like to camp as you previously mentioned if possible, but I do know of other semi-affordable options. I know JVD has camping, but I still need to research the other islands more. But I hear you on pre-arranged accommodations and using the ferries as I'm sure I'll get sick of "roughing it" at some point.

And just to clarify as I hadn't mentioned dates, I wouldn't be able to go for a few months as I'm still recovering from ACL reconstruction. But my goal is to have 10 grand saved by then(which should be doable) and have another grand saved to get me home when I run out of steam or funds, whichever comes first. I'm hoping to get by for 3 months with what I've saved and by capitalizing on volunteer opportunities. Wouldn't mind visiting the USVIs as well.

Probably sounds like a pipe dream, but I'll have the time and the funds. I have a decent amount of experience solo traveling, just not in this part of the world. You only live once and I know I'll regret it if I don't give it a shot.

Thanks again!

Last edited by rbartolini12; 01/19/2018 01:23 AM.