It seems that the BVI's just don't want sailors returning to their country and waters, based on this FaceBook post from a friend of mine. What is the problem with encouraging sailors to come back to BVI waters and helping the local people after all the hurricane destruction??? Geeze.

"BVI Customs is targeting USA flagged boats and extorting very large fines. I had to pay $2,000 for not immediately clearing in, even after hours, with health and safety reasons. Now I can make this report being safely in US waters. Last Thursday, after a very hard Anegada crossing in my sail boat, at around 4:30 pm, I picked up and paid for a ball at Peter Island. It was too late to clear in at Tortola and being dead tired we decided it was too risky to try to make it to St. John in the dark not knowing what kind of hurricane damage/obstacles there were. We flew a yellow flag and friday morning, a BVI customs boat and immigration/police boat were stopping at each boat in the Peter Island mooring field. A German boat that came in a little after us and anchored after picking up a mooring ball and were told they'd have to pay was passed over. When they saw my American flag they bypassed 2 more boats and came to question me. The police boat had an official armed with a machine gun, with is finger on the trigger. They were extremely rude and made me read the statute which stated that no matter the reason the captain is subject to a fine between $0 and $10,000 stopping in BVI waters without clearance. We were told to proceed to tortola to meet with a magistrate that would determine our fine. Every BVI official was rude and seemed pissed off at Americans. We docked and I was taken to the Customs office where I was told that the magistrate was not available but the assistant magistrate would be meeting me in a few minutes. 3 hours later after forcing me to wait in a stifling hot room (adjoining an air conditioned room where local people waited, I was told to just sit and wait, When I requested a mens room, they told me it was off limits and I would have to go on the street to find a mens room, but if the magistrate came out I'd lose my place. During this time I registered a complaint with the US Coast Guard and spoke to the US embassy in Barbados. Mr Steven at the embassy, said it clearly sounded like extortion. I finally was sat before an interrogation team of 4 officials, the lead interrogator, Mr. Lettsome, was assistant head of customs and not a magistrate. After harassing me with repeated questions and telling me that no matter what, I was in violation of their rule, Lettsome ask me what I thought was a fair penalty. I was thinking the price of a speeding fine on the road and said $250. He said I was "out of my mind" and he demanded $3,000. We actually haggled and I was told that if i didn't admit guilt and pay $2000 (our agreed haggle amount), my sail boat would be impounded and I would have to wait to meet with a judge and this could be days. So I paid $2,000 to line Lettsome's pockets. Proceed through the BVI with CAUTION. I am sick about this and spent the last 3 years in the Caribbean, always following rules and always clearing in and out when required. I had previously cleared in and out of the BVI's at least 10 times, which the interrogation team noted.

Mitch Pierce
S/V BreeZen"