My new best friend, Henry Jarecki, did phone me from his office in New York at 6:30 this afternoon. We had a nice conversation, although in generalities. It was a very pleasant chat …. me being a complete stranger. I mentioned being anxious to get back to the islands, although at 72 years old the finish line is becoming closer every day. He stated I was just a 'baby', as he was 85 years old and still working. He also greatly enjoys the islands and asked that I inquire if he was on Norman when I visit, he would like to meet me.

Okay …. this is what he said (in summary). The issue with the Willy T was between the BVI government and the owner of the boat, not between Henry and the owner of the boat. He stated that he himself is a customer of the Willy T and has a civil relationship with the boat's owner. He does not consider the establishment to be unwanted competition to his restaurant on shore. From what he understands, the BVI government has been monitoring pollution coming from the boat into the Bight for over a year, and the suggested 'fixes' were never installed. He thinks perhaps Great Harbor on Peter Island might be a better location for handling the boat's pollution, which could be the reason for the permit to anchor there, although he does not know. He mentioned there are plans for development on Norman Island in the future, although we did not discuss.

Of course I have no way of knowing if any of this is correct. I can only confirm that Dr. Jarecki personally phoned me, a complete stranger, and in a very pleasant conversation explained the above. He did not come across as an evil 'money grabbing' individual.

Noel Hall
"It is humbling indeed, to discover my own opinion is only correct less than 50% of the time."

www.noelhall.com