Originally Posted by SammyM
What an interesting question. For me and my wife the answer is definitely yes, but it's important to remember that on SXM Club Orient really sets the tone for just not this island but all of the Caribbean. There is no other place quite like it, but if it didn't come back (rebuild) I would still visit St. Martin for the many reasons that 'Pat' and others listed above. The people, the dining, the shopping, the attractions, and so much more make SXM a very special place. Some people may not like what I am about to say, but in certain ways Club Orient has also hindered St. Martin. Before everyone gets their 'ire' up, please let me explain.

Many of the folks who visit and stay at Club Orient year-after-year have developed a type of 'right of ownership' here. Not everyone, but some people. Some are less than welcoming when people from cruise ships and other visitors in general walk down through the clothing optional section in front of Club 'O'. Warning signs about cameras, cell phone pictures, and the security personnel who watch over this area sometimes creates an atmosphere that is overly restrictive for those who are nothing more than curious. I have seen this first hand, and I often wish that those who choose to go without clothing would inter-mingle with those who keep their suits on. And, by all means stop treating the word 'textile' as some kind of negative thing.

Recently, my wife and I had the opportunity to visit the island of Mallorca in the Mediterranean Sea, and made it a point to spend a full day at Es Trenc beach near Campos on the island's south side. We had never been here before, but had heard about what a beautiful beach this was similar to those on Ibiza. After our driver dropped us off, we walked through different inter-connected beaches that lined this coast. First, there was a very calm beach that was occupied heavily by young families with small children. Then, a more standard beach similar to the primary section of Orient Beach. Next, was a gay section with primarily male couples, and then a large nude section which was comprised of people from all ages. There were single men, single women, families, couples, and so on. As we continued our walk, the nude section slowly faded and a more standard beach returned (although one in every four women went topless). There were no security guards watching everyone, nor warning signs regarding photography, or any type of rules that warned if you "crossed this line" the police will swoop in and fine you. It was refreshing watching the people who chose to wear swimsuits mix in comfortably with those who chose to go nude. Everyone was enjoying the day with or without apparel.

Here, my wife and I set up our beach umbrella and enjoyed a wonderful day under the sun. I couldn't help but compare this to Orient Beach and Club Orient. And, I must honestly say that as much as we have enjoyed all of Orient Beach in the past I wished at that moment it was more like this Spanish beach where everyone could do whatever best 'suited' them without all the rules and regulations. So, if Club Orient didn't return we would indeed return, but only if the new beach truly mirrored the clothing optional beaches of the French Riviera and the Balearic Islands. Either way, we will still be coming back to SXM for so may other reasons.

Great response! Thanks!

I wanted to correct what I posted: If Club Orient closed and the property sold to developers that built villas and beach bars similar to the other end of the beach then we would not return. The way it stands now is Club Orient controls the beach in front of the resort even though the resort is closed so it is fine with me to go and carry in and carry out my beach chair, umbrella and cooler.