This year will be our 11th year in a row sailing in the BVI. We always lock our dinghy at the dock and to the boat at night. Last year we were at Leverick in a slip and I pulled the dinghy around and locked it up at the dinghy dock in the corner at the end of the dock . We were up stairs about to eat dinner and I noticed a young local man sitting on the sidewalk with his feet in my dinghy. He just set there for a few minutes watching everyone that walked by. He then steps down into the dinghy and pulls out our paddles and puts them flat on the ground and pushes them against a short wall. At this point I'm heading that way. By the time it took me to get down the stairs he was just walking by with the paddles. I confronted him and I told him those were my paddles. He didn't have anything to say and I took the paddles back and put them in the boat. We never put the paddles back into the dinghy until we arrived back a Horizon. I'm not sure what a set of paddles cost, but I have no doubt if I hadn't been watching the dinghy, I would have bought Horizon a new set.

Phil
Nixa, Mo.