many of those bare boat charter dinghys all look pretty much the same. Some have numbers to I.D. them,

We lock up the dink with the cable that the bare boat charter company has given us. I also take the shut down cord with me when going ashore.

it would be easy, after a few pain killers to hop in the wrong dinghy, especially when they can get moved around, retied, etc.

In 35 years , we have never had a problem with theft , or any crime. or confrontation in the BVI.

However, with the two hurricanes, some nare-- do wells, may be taking advantage of the rich tourists. Sounds like a little deeper in the Caribbean style.

We always carry our oars, on board the dink due to the mistrust and problems that we have had with dinghy motors. I can secured them on board the boat at night, but not sure what we can do about that when we dink ashore.
We can lock up the dink thru dock cleats or boards, so the major theft is averted.

Thank you all for the up dates, I am very sorry to hear that the visitors are being preyed upon. That situation could expand to boats being broken into, pilferred and valuables and gear stolen.

As much as we love the BVI, we did not spend all that money, airlines, boats , hotels, partying and dining ashore cash, to have some one steal from us. It does not sound like the BVI govt much cares. There will be our 2019 BVI sailing vacation,
and we will ask around . Who knows if there will be a 2020 BVI trip. That actually hurts the heart, since there are so many wonderful people in the BVI. That stealing is very sad to comprehend. That turkey who stole the oars, did not appear to be the least bit worried about being busted. No penalty, no fear, the stealing will continue to expand.