The comment from SXM Fox highlights one problem of time share..ownership. He is partly right about not owning anything BUT it depends on the type of time share. We own a "timeshare" but we have a deed and ownership and NO term or time limit. We can pass the deed to our children and as long as the fees are paid there is no problem. Once a year, as owners, we attend an AGM at which time we elect a new board of directors and discuss issues. If issues arise between AGMs we can discuss them with board members.
Admittedly, if you're shopping for an ownership type of timeshare it might be hard to find as most timeshare organizations dislike them...I think they feel they have some loss on control when there are actual owners. We are part of the Wyndham chain and in the Wyndham system there are two resorts that have owners.
It works for us and, I believe, gives us a lot more options. We chose our resort for two reasons...first, ownership and secondly, the resort is only 2 hours drive from where we live..BUT we can still trade and go virtually anywhere in the world on a timeshare agreement basis. Personally I think ours is the best of both worlds.